Ep 365?

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
champguy

Ep 365?

Postby champguy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Shameless jump the gun here, but you guys have got to talk about ATC vulnerability after the sorry whack job in Chicago shutting down half the country by going self-postal next to the computer in the corner.
Is NextGen going to fix this?
Or is everyone going to have to learn to fly like I do by looking out the great big curved panel in the front of the cockpit.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

DJTorrente

Re: Ep 365?

Postby DJTorrente » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Drones pushing out GenAv (Airspace)

Jack,

There is a very recent and vivid example of moneyed interest competing with aviation writ large -- LightSquared. If it was just a matter of money, we'd have lost that battle and GPS would be considerably less useful than it currently remains.

-DJT
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Each of these battles shows you have to wade into the battle, corruption not withstanding, and take part. It is not enough to reject government or refuse to participate and accept a compromise.
We won't always agree. I still want a drone to deliver a piping hot pepperoni pizza the one short mile over the ridge to my deck instead of me having to drive, beer in hand, down the levee, over the bridge, three miles around the bend into town to pick up the tasty treat myself, get home and find three slices missing. All in Class "G" airspace, even if it is the same airspace I fly through making a low pass past my house to see who is visiting while I'm away.
Seems like we have a whole backlog of stuff that needs resolution.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:56 pm

First, if you don't believe that General Aviation can be shut out of normal airspace, just try flying your little Cessna to KDCA. We must always be vigilant about encroachments on our right to flight.

Second, Jack mentioned Skybox Imaging and Google -- go to the Skybox website (http://www.skyboximaging.com/) and check out the still and HD video in the gallery. Pretty cool, including airplanes moving on airports and also flying over cities while the satellite is taking pictures.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:04 am

I was kind of surprised that you guys didn't talk about "NASA is building an air traffic control system for drones."

The future of airspace control is going to have to include UAVs. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think that might look like in say 15 years.

Return to “Episodes”