EP 371 This is no Mythbuster Episode, Jack

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jarheadpilot82

EP 371 This is no Mythbuster Episode, Jack

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 am

The discussion of the Mythbuster episode about the guy landing on a teeter totter reminded me of a REAL story. In 1963 Marine 1stLt Cliff "Jud" Judkins bailed out (not ejected- bailed out!) of a burning F8 Crusader over the Pacific. Please follow the link to read the amazing story-

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/05/09 ... and-lives/

The good news is Jud went onto a successful career as a pilot for Delta Air lines. I thought that everyone might enjoy this amazing, TRUE story
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

jarheadpilot82

Re: EP 371 This is no Mythbuster Episode, Jack

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 am

As additional info on the story I mentioned, in case there are any UCAPers unfamiliar with the F-8, the F-8 Crusader was the last true dogfighter. The F-8 was the last jet to be outfitted with guns, not rockets, as its offensive weaponry. That is why It is referred to as "the last of the gun fighters" . When the F-4 Phantom was introduced, the world was shocked to see a Fighter aircraft with NO guns, only missiles!

For more info-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_F-8_Crusader

FWIW, the Crusader is my favorite all-time jet fighter.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: EP 371 This is no Mythbuster Episode, Jack

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:41 am

Wow!

Return to “Episodes”