Thrust & Drag UCAP388

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
gmarshall

Thrust & Drag UCAP388

Postby gmarshall » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Hey guys, looks like the Bugatti has flown.

Note about the engines, they've subbed the original Bugatti motors for Suzuki Hayabusa mills. Each one puts out ~160hp which is a little less than the original engines were supposed to. But I suspect the high tech aluminum mills are also a skitch lighter, and heaps more reliable, so I'd call it a win.

One of the coolest features of the airplane is something you guys didn't mention. The props are powered by shafts that run on either side of the pilot, angling out then back inwards using U joints.

For some good cutaways that show the mechanicals:

http://silodrome.com/bugatti-100p/

And the first flight video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lstv7QjL7BM

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the props are clutched, as they start the engines and the engine RPMS come up without the props spinning at first.

Anyway, apparently a successful flight, though the aircraft ended in the grass on it's nose due to a brake failure of some sort. No major damage, and they'll be at it again soon.

RigaRunner

Re: Thrust & Drag UCAP388

Postby RigaRunner » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:18 pm

To provide a little more information, anyone in the Washington DC area -- and especially anyone at Dulles Airport's terminals -- who wants to visit the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian Institution can take public transportation to the Center.

From the "Ground Transportation" areas at IAD, take Fairfax Connector bus No. 983 one stop to Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Bus fares paid with SmarTrip card or cash. Bus drivers do not carry change. Fairfax Connector 983 also connects Udvar-Hazy and Dulles to Washington's Metro rail system.

The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is in fact on the airport property at the south end of runways 1-19 and is connected to them by a taxiway. That's how they get all those large aircraft into the Center.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

Return to “Episodes”