Episode #389, the end of Flightwatch

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
navionguy

Episode #389, the end of Flightwatch

Postby navionguy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm really going to miss the service. For as long as I've been flying I would monitor 122.0. You didn't have to ask for weather, if there was weather anywhere around, pilots closer to it would be getting updates and you could listen in. Flown to and from Oshkosh many times dodging summer storms and never needed to transmit.

Don
Don
Fly Navion, ask the man who owns one.
N4475K

turbo

Re: Episode #389, the end of Flightwatch

Postby turbo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:18 pm

Times have been changing. Now I monitor 121.5 and keep an eye on wx with xm. I do remember those days though. 8-)
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

G-Atlast

Re: Episode #389, the end of Flightwatch

Postby G-Atlast » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 am

Hi, interesting to hear that you saw the piece about the auction of the Rapide etc. As a PPL who flies locally near Goodwood I have been lucky to see the Rapide on many occasions. The mention of the Meteor had special meaning as well. At my local field (Sandown Isle of Wight http://www.eghn.org.uk/) we are lucky enough to have a fascinating old lady living nearby who was an ATA pilot during the war. She flew 76 different types and has hundreds of hours logged on Spitfires, Wellingtons etc. It was not unusual for her to deliver a Spitfire at one place then immediately get in to a Wellington and fly it somewhere else. If asked, she seems surprised when people now find this incredible, saying 'Oh it was easy -I had my pilot notes tucked in my boot'! I've seen a copy of those notes and they are just an A5 booklet with pages of tiny text listing the vital numbers for each type.
This same lady (Look at http://www.eghn.org.uk/news/default.html and scroll down until you see a smart lady cutting a ribbon) and in more detail here http://www.visitilife.com/flying-against-all-expectations/ is probably the only woman to have test flown the Meteor jet (her briefing just consisted of 'be careful, it runs out of fuel in 45 minutes')!
While at 98 she no longer flies(!), she remains an incredible inspiration to all who fly at Sandown and is an honoured guest whenever she visits. She recently featured prominently on a TV show filmed at Goodwood to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
Keep up the good work with the Podcasts, I've been listening for years. Hopefully one day I'll be able to make that pilgrimage to Oshkosh and meet up in person! :)
Richard

Return to “Episodes”