UCAP 404-Worsening Conditions

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
slopilot

UCAP 404-Worsening Conditions

Postby slopilot » Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to add another thing about Adrian that didn't come up on the podcast. As I mentioned in the forums, I recently purchased a Debonair. As part of that process, I attended all of the flying and maintenance seminars with regards to Bonanzas that I could get to at Oshkosh last summer. Adrian actually presented a seminar on boroscopy and burnt valves. I have followed Mike Busch's writing closely in the past five years or so, and Adrian's approach seems pretty similar to Mike's approach; use modern knowledge and technology to understand when a failure is about to happen rather than throwing parts at the airplane on periodic intervals in hopes of avoiding failures. I've attached a couple of links to Adrian's work on burnt valves. I feel like the work that people like Adrian and Mike Busch are doing for GA mechanics and owners is really great for the future of the GA fleet.

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/air-safety-institute/valve-safety
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2014/june/pilot/pe_ownership

-Nick

Scofreyjet

Re: UCAP 404-Worsening Conditions

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks Nick - maybe Adrian will will present at OSH again this year - I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am

I agree. Mike Busch has done a lot to change the thinking about GA mx. Ironically, some of his philosophy is kind of close to what a lot of old-timer hangar rats that I've come across have been doing for decades; not be so quick to call the sky is falling with every little blip in the engine's health. Using technology like borescopes and oil analysis intelligently has changed my thinking, for sure. Same thing with LOP engine management.

Mike would be a great podcast guest.

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:00 pm

PilotBill,

Mike Busch was a guest a long while back talking about aircraft ownership and prebuy inspections, among other topics-

http://www.uncontrolledairspace.com/sho ... .php?s=066

Semper Fi,

Jarheadpilot82
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Ah, Ok. I'l have to go back and find that one.

Return to “Episodes”