Episode 412: Ten Years After

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
slopilot

Episode 412: Ten Years After

Postby slopilot » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to add some info on the Luscombe off field landing situation. While most of us are used to a crankshaft with a prop flange, some of the early small Continentals (A65, C90) actually used a taper shaft crank. A taper shaft hub was mounted to the prop, and then slid on to the taper shaft crank. It had a very large key for clocking/constraining the prop rotationally, and the hub was mounted to the crankshaft with one large concentric nut at the front of the hub. That nut is torqued and there are aligning holes located radially around the nut and crankshaft which allows a #6 screw to be installed, locking the hub nut in place. If the propeller isn't installed correctly, it is not that difficult for the assembly to come off the engine without any material failure. If that isn't clear enough (which is quite possible), I've added a link to a very good write up of the installation procedure.

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/Taper%20Hub%20Removal.pdf

-Nick

sballmer

Re: Episode 412: Ten Years After

Postby sballmer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:16 am

Congratulations on the ten-year anniversary! I have been listening from the start - and not by coincidence. This month also marks my 10-year anniversary of my US certificates.

On another ten!

Return to “Episodes”