UCAP 418 - "Miss Steery"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

UCAP 418 - "Miss Steery"

Postby AirportDude » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:52 am

1) Tinker AFB is on the southeast side of Oklahoma City -- I was assigned there from 1998-2001 as an Air Force weather forecaster, so I know it well!

2) Another cool aircraft similar to the BAe 146/Avro RJ85 was the Fairchild-Dornier 328Jet, although the 328 held less passengers. They were with Atlantic Coast Airlines (ACA) for a while (early 2000s) as a Delta Connections feeder. I found them more comfortable than the current CRJ200, and loved the view out the windows due to the high-wing configuration, just as Jack mentioned with the RJ85. Unfortunately the manufacturer went belly-up, and I guess the MRO costs skyrocketed. I guess ACA also went down hill quickly since I read that Mesa Air Group attempted a take-over which was thwarted. ACA restructured into Independence Air, a LCC, which soon folded.

3) I know that from an airport operator's standpoint (if you haven't guessed yet, I'm Operations at a small regional airport in Georgia -- which sees a HUGE uptick in opstempo during the Master's Tournament!) we try to maintain a very good working relationship with our FAA controllers. Since we're all over the airfield, especially the movement areas, we strive to work hand-in-hand with both the FAA and our commercial & transient aircrews. Our airport is small and we have the advantage of airspace which isn't too busy, allowing my crew greater flexibility whenever we (or the airport maintenance folks) are on the active surfaces. We have a good working knowledge of tower operations, and they have the same knowledge of ours, and we all cooperate very well together. We'll give their new trainees a familiarization tour of the entire airfield, just so they have a better perspective than just the view they constantly see from 90 feet up in a fixed position. They give our folks tours also, just so we can see how they operate and what tools they use in their routing of air traffic in and out of the airport, including their Class D TRACON. Yeah, they do have a few head-scratching moments, but who doesn't?!?
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

Scofreyjet

Re: UCAP 418 - "Miss Steery"

Postby Scofreyjet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:50 am

AirportDude,

Unrelated, but coincidentally - I spent a week at Tinker in the early 80's attending a training course sponsored by the base's Crypto shop. I don't remember what it was for, but I do remember this New Englander's surprise at seeing working oil wells along the main streets of Oklahoma City! I also remember the incredibly large maintenance hangars along that flightline, housing the massive logistics mission there.

I also traveled to Fort Gordon (near your "small regional airport") during that same period for training at a joint Army/USAF technical school. It was hot. And humid. And also hot.

And to make a small connection to Mr. Higdon's neighborhood, I also spent a week at McConnell AFB in Wichita as part of a technical Red Team, attempting to disrupt communications during a SAC exercise. Good fun! (We were reasonably successful, I must say...) :twisted:
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Jeff,

Ok, well here goes the 6 degrees of separation....

I grew up in Portland (yes the original one in Maine, not the OTHER Portland out west whose name coincidentally was established by one of my Lovejoy ancestor Uncles) and joined the AF in 1985. My first real base (after technical training at Chanute AFB in Illinois -- you want to talk about a NE boy and culture shock?! No hills, few trees, and corn as far as the eye could see.) was Carswell AFB, TX in Fort Worth. I was there from 86-92, and saw the transition from SAC to ACC. I PCS'd to McConnell AFB and supported the B-1Bs when they were still a Bomb Wing -- coolest tailflash in the fleet; OZ.

From McConnell, I cross trained into weather forecasting in 94 and went to Keesler AFB, MS for a year. Then onto RAF Mildenhall from 95-98, then Tinker 98-01, Kunsan AB, Korea 01-02, then Ramstein Germany from 02-05. Retired, and was married to military, so we went to Schofield Barracks, Hawaii 07-11 where I was a meteorological instructor for the AF at Hickam AFB. Our unit was in the HQ building which still bore bullet holes from Dec 7, 1941. From there we went to Newport News, VA where I decided to expand out of the weather support business and get into airport ops. I finished my MS with Embry Riddle and bounced around for a couple of years between Sanford, FL (SFB) where Allegiant Air scared the crap out of me on several occasions, plus burned me out in short order. BUT I got to check-off Sun 'N Fun from my bucket list in 2014! I then found a job at Raleigh-Durham (RDU) which was a good gig, and a great area to live. Then the position came open here at AGS, where my wife is currently stationed. Yes it's hot here for about 4 months, mild for about another 3 months on each side of the hot, and chilly for 2 months out of the year. So if you can suffer the worst months, the rest are pretty nice. But I do miss snow (occasionally).

So between my 20 years, and my wife's 17+ years we've been and seen a lot of places. Probably a few you've been to as well.

Jeff
- AirportDude

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:43 pm

Very Cool Jeff!

I only did a four year stint. (Plus 3 extra months to get a join-spouse assignment at the end.) After Basic (3711 BMTS) I took a school bus across Lackland to the Crypto Maintenance School Squadron and enjoyed San Antonio for another six months. Then to the 1972 Comm. Squadron at Eglin AFB in Florida (speaking of hot and humid, although the panhandle does have seasons - sort of.) 2-1/2 years at Eglin, but embedded in that tour were three TDY's (totaling twelve months) to Maxwell AFB in Montgomery Alabama to fill in gaps in their small crypto shop.

Met my (first) wife at Maxwell, and when she got orders for Kelly AFB, I applied for join-spouse and did my last year back in San Antonio. We both separated from the AF in 1985 and I got a job in the defense sector back in Mass. Been here ever since, although it didn't work out long-term for wife #1. Been with #2 for 26 years now, so I think she's the one! ;)

Glad to have you contributing to the forums - I'm sure you've noticed you're getting some air time!

Jeff
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:34 am

RE: airtime

Yeah I caught that, pretty cool. Glad that I can contribute! I just stumbled onto UCAP this past summer so I'm still a new listener, but I'm going through the older podcasts and getting caught-up.

Jack, Dave, and Jeb are great to listen to, and it feels like a bunch of guys just hanging-out shooting the s**t, but all aviation related and relevant. I'd love to meet the guys and the rest of the Air Cav someday. AirVenture is still on my bucket list, so you never know!

Be well all, hope the holidays have been good to everyone, and looking forward to 2017.

Jeff
- AirportDude

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:21 pm

AirportDude, Scofreyjet,

Fascinating to hear each of your stories.

Scofreyjet, I confess I was unaware of your service background. Very nice.

AirportDude (I'd call you each by your real names, but you'll have to deconflict first), Jeff, err Scofreyjet, and I were just talking about ways to return these Forums to their much busier golden age. Thanks for making your contribution here. It will help.

All of us would love to meet you face-to-face one day. Perhaps you'll make it down to SnF this spring, or of course, OSH.

Thanks.

// Jack

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Unfortunately SnF coincides with the Masters Tournament, and it's "all hands on deck" that week! For a 10-day period, our operations increase to 2-3 times what they would be for a normal month! Lots of private and corporate biz jets in and out. Ramp space becomes a major commodity, and for the past couple of years we've shut-down our crosswind runway just so we can have more aircraft parking!

I was thinking about the Sport Expo at Sebring. I'm already taking a few vacation days and driving down to Orlando on the 13th to visit family. I've given some thought to holding off to the weekend of the 28th just to catch the expo.
- AirportDude

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:40 am

Be advised that Jeb and I will be at the Sebring expo on Sat the 28th only. We have no formal activities there so ping us on Twitter to arrange a meetup. Or I'll try to check these forums a few days in advance.

ssbn608

Postby ssbn608 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Listening to past episodes of UCAP, in preparation for the 2017 tie-down party, and was listening to this episode. Specifically, the section on "High-tech Fuel Gauges", and you mentioned that some aircraft come with wing root sight glasses.

It was of particular interest to me because at the very moment you were talking about that, I was pouring avgas, one gallon at a time into my starboard wing, so I could calibrate and mark the wing root sight glass on my Pipistrel Virus SW kit plane that I am days away from completing.

Well, maybe not the exact moment, since it was a previously recorded program I'm listening to months later, but I thought I'd mention it. It seemed to

Hopefully, later this week, I'll be hearing something about (successful) taxi tests, and later this month, maybe there'll be a mention on a podcast about successful first flights of newly completed kit airplanes. Or something about uneventful cross-country motorcycle trips to AirVenture 2017, which I'll be doing again this year, as I don't expect to have test flying done in time to fly up to Oshkosh. I look forward to see the UCAP crew up there!

Allen Inks

Return to “Episodes”