Episode #420 - Continuous Turn Approach

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jarheadpilot82

Episode #420 - Continuous Turn Approach

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 am

I thought that the episode provided a great discussion of the Continuous Turn Approach. That is the style of approach I learned as a young student naval aviator in Navy Flight School over 35 years ago. Jack suggested it might be a more advanced maneuver, but I would respectfully disagree. I did it on my first approach and landing with only 3 hours or so in my logbook, and flying a complex aircraft, the T-34C.

I would submit to you that an additional benefit is this - if you learn to fly this type of pattern with minimal power from the abeam position, and close in enough to do so, in the event of a power loss anywhere from the 180 in, your chances of making it to the runway are far better than flying a rectangular pattern in your 172 that is big enough for a 747 to fly.

YMMV.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

IBEWguy

Re: Episode #420 - Continuous Turn Approach

Postby IBEWguy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 pm

OK Terry, now I'm curious...what did you fly in the fleet?

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:58 pm

IBEWguy wrote:OK Terry, now I'm curious...what did you fly in the fleet?

IBEWguy,

I flew UH-1Ns in the Fleet 1982-1985 in Hawaii, as part of HMH-463 and HMM-262
I flew T-34Cs at Whiting Field as an IP with VT-3 ("Attrition is Our Mission") 1986-1988
I flew UH-1Ns again 1988-1990 in the USMCR with HML-767 at NAS NOLA

You can tell you are getting old when the two airframes you flew on active duty are stuck on poles at the front gate of military bases, and the ships you served on are all in mothballs. (But it beats the alternative. ;) )
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

C5Guy

Postby C5Guy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm

I agree with Jarheadpilot82. If I I'm alone in the pattern, I tend to fly a tight pattern with a near continuous turn to final. I say "near continuous" because I shallow the bank about 1/2 thru to double check there is no one on final (most often an airplane on a practice instrument approach who forgot to make some radio calls). If the pattern is busy, I go with the flow to stay predictable. Good discussion.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 am

I remember my DPE (on my private checkride) commenting that a short approach was just a continuous turn to the runway, and (fortunately) that was how my instructor had taught them.

I always enjoyed that smooth, continuous turning descent. The only downside I can think of is that it doesn't provide the convenient reference points for checklist items and checking for traffic, etc. You've got to integrate all of those things into one long maneuver.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:48 pm

jarheadpilot82 wrote:You can tell you are getting old when the two airframes you flew on active duty are stuck on poles at the front gate of military bases, and the ships you served on are all in mothballs.

Ha! How true! The one (and only) USN ship I earned sea duty on (as an Air Force weather forecaster) is now an artificial reef somewhere off the coast of Norfolk, VA - USS LaSalle (AGF-3).

Much the meteorology equipment I used once-upon-a-time are now museum pieces, as well as many of the aircraft I briefed!
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

navionguy

Postby navionguy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Never landed on a carrier but was lucky enough to have as my flight instructor a WWII Navel Fighter Pilot (F4F & F6F) on the Yorktown. As a student, he taught the rectangular approach. As soon as I had my license, he immediately had me start using the "continuous turn". Much better for keeping your eyes on the target and as jarheadpilot82 points out, if the engine packs it in on final, you just keep doing what your doing till touch down. If the pattern is busy I might have to extend downwind, but I still do one turn onto final and just adjust when I start my descent.
Don
Fly Navion, ask the man who owns one.
N4475K

crackle

Postby crackle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:30 am

While I find the continuous turn much more natural, here in the UK we have some serious noise abatement procedures at some airfields, so the choice is often not mine! There are some patterns which are quite far off rectangular for this reason.

One issue to look out for, whatever pattern is flown, is to fit into the flow with other aircraft. I think this was raised, but I have had aircraft turn within my base leg and cause me to go around, this despite the fact that the pattern was established by the noise abatement procedures. He apparently hadn't seen me, but if we'd both been on the same track it would not have been an issue.

Thanks for another interesting debate, UCAP team.

Return to “Episodes”