"Replace Your Divots" UCAP422

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

"Replace Your Divots" UCAP422

Postby AirportDude » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 am

In reference to Dave's story about his friend's former N-registration -- here is the new owner of said reg at AGS in 2016 during the Masters Tournament...

N1KE.jpg
Nike Gulfstream G650 N1KE. Photo by Jeff Lovejoy
N1KE.jpg (212.79 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

AirportDude

Re: "Replace Your Divots" UCAP422

Postby AirportDude » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:40 am

In response to the questions which were posed concerning drones at airshows:

I think I'm of the same mind as you three expressed -- I don't think that there is much value added to the presence of drone racing at included at airshows, that's a niche that is better filled at other venues. Now, on the other hand, I do think that there should be some sort of representation of the industry, just as you would see other vendor booths and displays. Their presence is important for the integration of aviators and drone operators (or would-be ones) so that all involved parties gain a better knowledge of each other's operating rules, regulations, and requirements. It should be these vendors who introduce responsible operation to the non-pilot potential new drone operator, and get them interested with the obtainment of their Part 107 certificate, even if that operator never has any interest in plying that machine into commercial interest. It gives them knowledge of basic airmanship and a peek behind the curtain toward gaining their PPL. That could be catalyst enough to get younger folks into the flying/aviation industry.

Most folks who attend an airshow, expo, fly-in, etc., are obviously there because they already have some interest in aviation. Notice I said MOST, not ALL. I'm sure there are a percentage of tag-alongs or made-to-goes who really don't have any deep interest, but perhaps might gain some if something which tweaks that interest. Drones are certainly in that mein, because they appeal to that gaming hand-eye coordination mindset. Plus a drone will get folks outdoors, away from those computer games, in a real three-dimensional environment. Plus it gets them looking up into the sky where there are (gasp) airplanes!

I guess what I'm attempting to say here is that instead of conceptualizing people coming-up with ways to leverage the drone industry, why not use the drone industry to leverage people into aviation?

Just my 2 cents!

Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

TomBrusehaver

Postby TomBrusehaver » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:31 pm

As far as Quad copters and such at airshows; I look at them as a gateway. Oshkosh has the RC airplanes and many other airshows have them as well, where do you draw the line between R/C aircraft (scale looking) and R/C aircraft (futuristic looking? multi-rotor). I agree car shows have their place separate from the airshows, and jet trucks can replace the circus.

As far as manned multi-copters, whadaya nuts! What is plan B? Helicopters can auto rotate, fixed wing aircraft can glide. In a power failure situation, those multi-rotors are gonna be spinning backwards when the vehicle hits the ground! You will not find me in one that is flying more than 10 feet off the ground!

For personal background, I am a PPSEL with instrument rating, I love flying fixed wing aircraft. About a year ago, I saw some "drone" racing, and thought, that looks like fun. I am teaching myself, and a getting good enough that I might try a race this year. I've also learned quite a bit about these things. Power failures happen, and controllers go whacky. You can do everything right, or so you think, but a connector will fail, or the controller will think something is happening that isn't and you end up crashing (again!).

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 am

As "other Jeff" (AirportDude) says, there are lots of people at an airshow who require supplemental entertainment. And I agree with Tom that it can be hard to draw the line. I'm a long-time R/C flier and instructor, a PP-SEL/SES, and now a Part 107 Remote Pilot. I think that having the R/C experience and the Drone Cage and vendors at a place like Oshkosh are great, and exactly the right venue. For Sebring, which is intended to be a show specifically for potential aircraft buyers? I'm not so sure - but it is entertainment.

But until a manned multi-rotor has been demonstrated to auto-rotate inherently and softly to the ground, or have an airframe parachute system, I'm not flying in one.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Navionpilot

Postby Navionpilot » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 pm

R/C's are what got me into aviation. Seems to me they are one of the many catalyst to an aviation affliction. Even if they are not as cool as the R/C's I fly :lol: (quadcopter vs. staggerwing), they seem to scratch the itch.

fwiw

Jonathan
"Very hard and smooth surfaces, such as obtained by the use of concrete, are not popular with pilots.- Civil Airport Construction 1928- Fly Grass!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Episodes”