"Smashed Wedding Cake" UCAP423

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

"Smashed Wedding Cake" UCAP423

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

New UCAP episode "Smashed Wedding Cake" is posted.

Human ride-able drone... Jeb's flat tire... Harrison Ford's mistake... This and more in Uncontrolled Airspace. Recorded February 16, 2017.

http://uncontrolledairspace.com/shownotes/UCAP423

jarheadpilot82

Re: "Smashed Wedding Cake" UCAP423

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:53 am

Jack,

If you lost one engine on the Volocopter, that would qualify as the dreaded "17 engine approach and landing" wouldn't it? ;0)

I do agree that the passenger/pilot sitting smack dab in the middle of the rotor arcs is not the best design for the volocopter. Dave is right on that one. When I flew helicopters we used to say the safest place in a helo crash was inside the cabin (at least until the rotor blades stopped turning) as the rotors and other rotating parts would be flung out and away from the aircraft. I think the volocopter would be a better design if the pilot/passenger was below the arc. But, Dave, you fly it first and let me know how it goes!
Last edited by jarheadpilot82 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

jarheadpilot82

Re: "Smashed Wedding Cake" UCAP423

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 am

Jack,

One thing I wanted to the discussion about rotor blades and rotorcraft was to add a link to a video that you might find interesting -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mE5stttVSI

It is the story of Army helicopter pilots in Vietnam who flew an unexpected mission to extract soldiers who were being attacked by enemy forces. The helicopter pilots ended up cutting their own LZ's (Landing Zones) out of the jungle with their helicopter blades. Pretty amazing.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

Return to “Episodes”