"WOOF" UCAP424

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
davidpatton111

Re: "WOOF" UCAP424

Postby davidpatton111 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:28 pm

I just listened to episode #424 and wanted to comment of flight following.

1. Not so long ago I finished my private pilot training and remember only a few times my private pilot instructor mentioning flight following but not going into great detail about it. I have a few theories on why this may be the case. I think it's sort of like the education system we have in America at public schools and teaching only the topics related to standardized testing. If it's not testable why teach it? And instructors, I believe, are evaluated on how many student pass or fail a check-ride, right?

2. For those pilots that don't use it on cross country flights I feel it's a bit irresponsible. And if you have no clue how to use it then maybe you really are not that passionate about flying. I say this because passion brings about a sort of desire to learn and want to absorb everything like a sponge. This passion leads to reading of flight related magazines and other content like podcasts, etc. It also leads to this great invention we have called the internet and the ability to search any topic in question. So I have to conclude that maybe these folks not using flight following, or turning off the transponder as they fly over class delta, or avoid any airspace considered confusing is due to a lack of personal interest by the pilot to really have the desire to learn about it.

3. I'd like to highly recommend a book Radio Mastery for VFR Pilots by Jeff Kanarish. He also has a VFR communications podcast and an IFR communications podcast. This book takes the reader thru very detailed explanations as to how one should properly talk to ATC. I mean it goes into goes into the common mistakes like "with you" when checking into another controller while on flight following, etc. He talks about how to shorten communications, etc. After reading it I created a cheat sheet for uncontrolled and controlled airspace, to include flight following. I've always used flight following since then and even feel confident flying into controlled airspace. Highly recommend.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:45 pm

A lot of people get panicked anytime they have to talk to ATC. It's one of those things that you just have to do a lot to get comfortable with. It's kind of nice to know that someone on the ground has you dialed in on the radar and you them on the comm radio God forbid you should really need them.

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 am

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:A lot of people get panicked anytime they have to talk to ATC. It's one of those things that you just have to do a lot to get comfortable with.

Very true. Being airport operators, we talk with tower/ground all the time and I would say that 90% of us are comfortable on the radio, and would probably be if aviating. It just comes with time and familiarity.

As I always like to quote from the movie Bull Durham, "He's just your father, man—he's as full of $4it as anybody." Transpose "ATC" with "father" and you get the point!
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:20 pm

More worldly wisdom from the greatest baseball movie ever.

palmtreeflying

Postby palmtreeflying » Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 pm

I am a VFR only pilot with a vintage 1963 Cherokee 180. I would like to say that since moving to Florida, I have started using flight following for the first time in over 15 years of flying. My previous flying (in Wichita, KS) was in Experimental aircraft... building and flying a Challenger II and Sonex. Both these planes were used for the local breakfast and $100 hamburger fly-ins. Fit my mission perfectly! I knew the local area like the back of my hand. Moving to Florida, I was in new territory. Nothing was familiar. I felt a new sense of needing someone to have an eye on me.. so to speak. So I read, researched, and watched countless YouTube videos on flight following. I use it on almost every flight now , and it works well. No problems to date.

Now we have a 2020 mandate for ads-b out. Hm... how will this affect me getting flight following? I know, get compliant and there will be no problem. I have a vintage, new-to-me airplane, that just finished a $6000 annual. Not to include a new fuel tank I just added for $2,000. I know... I am preaching to the choir! IF I decided to wait to install ads-b out, what would happen to people like me who use flight following? Would it come to a screeching halt come January 1, 2025? I called AOPA. They could not give me an answer right away, but got back with me within a few hours. Here is what they said:
"Aircraft without ADS-B are still eligible for flight following after 2020. Certain radar sites will start to be decommissioned closer to 2025 which will then begin to adversely impact surveillance coverage for flight following. Yes, the radar systems based on Mode C will be necessary for flight following for those non-ADS-B equipped aircraft. It is not like they are all going away though or at once; these systems are needed for resiliency. So in short, you'll still be able to get flight following without being ADS-B compliant, but that ability may start to be compromised starting in 2025 when they start scaling back the resources."

I hope this helps someone that had a similar question as I did. To close, I would like to say "hi" again to the UCAP gang! I met you guys very briefly outside one of the hangers at SUN n Fun this past year. It was a quick "hi" as I was waiting for a ride to deliver the oil I just purchased. I am from Ocala, Florida. Peace!

Return to “Episodes”