"Rookery" UCAP425

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

"Rookery" UCAP425

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Innovation in Aviation... Emergency Landing at Atlanta... Wake Vortices in cruise flight... Practicing emergencies... ATC Privatization... Here comes Doc... This and more in Uncontrolled Airspace. Recorded March 22, 2017.

http://uncontrolledairspace.com/shownotes/UCAP425

jarheadpilot82

Re: "Rookery" UCAP425

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:39 am

I have one word to describe the concept of circular runways - "unforgiving."

Dave described it well when he said that for takeoff you would have to start with a tailwind, then transition through a crosswind, to be at a headwind by the time you were at rotate speed. At least larger commercial airplanes would. And landings would be similar. Every approach would be like flying through a low level wind shear advisory. Yikes!

Well, it would be a bad idea unless the runway itself was on rollers, and you always landed in a headwind and the runway moved underneath you. HMMMM.....now there's an idea that has promise! ;0)
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

bruceh

Postby bruceh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Wake Turbulence

We flew the RV-9A into South Valley Utah (U42) on a nice calm day and got tossed 90 degrees by a vortice left by an airliner overhead headed north into Salt Lake City (KSLC). No warning, just boom, and you are rolling... I had to apply full ailerons to get back to level. Just the thing you want to have happen as you are approaching for landing, and are pretty low under the Class B shelf. We were probably 4 miles from the airport on a long straight in approach.

The shear size of the A380 compared to the Challenger is what is interesting to look at. Good summary of the incident and others is here.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H now FLYING!
http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:38 pm

The reason we bug-smasher pilots get drilled about wake avoidance in the airport environment is because that's where we are most likely to encounter a much larger aircraft. Within minutes of departure, most jet aircraft are climbing to altitudes where we are unlikely to have to worry about them.

But if you are an aircraft that routinely flies in cruise at the same altitude as other large aircraft (especially heavy and super-heavy) this has to be something that you pay attention to, it seems to me.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

slopilot

Postby slopilot » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Regarding warbird finished, they've definitely gone through phases from "pretty" to "authentic". Back in the late 90's and early 2000's a Warbird Grand Champion at Oshkosh would require a mirror finish polish on a bare aluminum airplane (Google Daddy's Girl Mustang). But more and more, restorers are going for a more authentic look. Sierra Sue was recently completed by Aircorps Aviation, and it is a marvelous example of the drive for authenticity in these more modern restorations. When you walk up to that airplane, you see bare aluminum (not polished!) with the material stamping still on the metal, and the spot weld locations having corrosion resistant coating brushed over the welds.

Similarly, when you look at Cavanaugh Museum's C-47, the colors are pretty reasonable; but it has a gloss finish to the paint, which wasn't authentic for the time. I was involved in a C-47 in California that we repainted about 3 years ago, and we spent a lot of time trying to chase authenticity. The matte paint and half invasion stripes are accurate, but one thing that you often see is invasion stripes on "D-Day recreation" aircraft that are painted with perfectly geometric stripes. When prepping for D-Day, they were often put on with mops, brushes, or brooms. We decided to forego that detail, because our aircraft was delivered in August, which would have given them time to paint on decent stripes. I can add a picture of this, because they're my own pictures. One thing to note is that the matte finish is authentic, but also much more difficult to maintain.

-Nick

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 pm

I think the wake turbulence incident was caused in part by the the two planes being just 1000 feet apart vertically, but on precisely the same GPS-calculated airway -- in other words, directly one above the other. In the old days of round dials and steam gauges, it would have been unlikely that two planes flying the same course would have been so precisely aligned.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 am

RE: Circular Runways

What could possibly go wrong?!?! :lol:
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:00 pm

FWIW, I was surprised that 1,000' wasn't enough space to dissipate the Airbus wake vortices enough for another heavy.

Return to “Episodes”