Episode 430 - "S Turns On A Highway"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jarheadpilot82

Episode 430 - "S Turns On A Highway"

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:22 pm

I have been listening to the podcast and became interested in this "flying car" of Mr. Page's so I went and viewed the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWh4W1C2PM

Just a couple of thoughts -

1. Does Mr. Page know that they already have craft that hover and can land on pontoons? They are called helicopters. Helicopters are not cheap but they have to be cheaper than this thing.

2. I guess the point of landing on the water and letting a friend strap it on is the concept that "anyone can do it". I have to tell you that I consider flying anything to be something that not everyone can do, nor should everyone even try. Some people are NOT meant to fly.

3. They ended up everyone at the end of the day sitting around a fire drinking some beverage, I am assuming of the adult variety (my personal guess was Sangria). Does Mr. Page or at least his marketing people understand that you can't fly after drinking alcohol (this isn't a car) and with the sun setting, you can't fly an ultralight at night. How was this ingenious, rich, spunky, adventurous lady going to get home? Uber?

More toys for the rich masses to buy and hurt themselves with. I am not impressed.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

sballmer

Re: Episode 430 - "S Turns On A Highway"

Postby sballmer » Thu May 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Listening to you guys talk about the wake turbulence at flight levels issue, I was wondering: With ADS-B capability, precise position and aircraft type of any traffic should always be available. Also, the current winds are calculated continuously by modern avionics. That should be all required information to predict the location of vortices and calculate wake turbulence avoidance alerts, similarly to the routinely used TCAS alerts.

Is that something avionics manulafturers are thinking about? Or is wake turbulence at flight levels simply not big enough an issue to care?

donwmack

Postby donwmack » Fri May 05, 2017 9:27 am

I think Jack said that the "flying car" couldn't tell if it was in ground effect. This got me to thinking. Would an aircraft without a wing (I assume the pontoons don't count) but gets its lift from the 6-8 downfacing motors even have a ground effect? I get the motors are pushing the air down to create lift, but when the motors stop, so does the lift. Any engineers out there that can provide an answer?

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 pm

I can't give a scientific answer to the ground effect question, but by observation flying micro drones and r/c helicopters indoors, I can tell you that there is a distinct change in behavior when these craft get close to the floor or other relatively broad horizontal surface.

And, interestingly, it works in the other direction too. Fly your drone up to the ceiling, and watch it accelerate in the last inch or two and stick itself to the ceiling!

Again, very non-scientific, but behavior close to hard surfaces does change.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

AirportDude

Re: Episode 430 - "S Turns On A Highway" -- On A Different Note...

Postby AirportDude » Sat May 06, 2017 8:59 am

Jack started discussing "classic" aircraft, and I got thinking about some of my favorites. However, I decided to go the other direction, and have come up with a list of some of the ugliest aircraft in history. Not a complete list, by any means -- any my apologies to our British friends for so many of their aircraft showing-up here. However the Brits have made some historically ugly doozies!!! 8-)

Airbus A380
Bristol ATL-98 Carvair Freighter
Handley Page Victor
Antonov An-72
de Havilland DHC-4 Caribou
Breguet 763 Provence
Transavia PL-12 Airtruk
Blackburn Beverley
Fairey Gannet
Blackburn R.1 Blackburn
Hawker Siddeley Nimrod
Short SC.7 Skyvan
Fieseler Fi 156 Storch
LTV A-7 Corsair II
Chance-Vought F-8 Crusader
Pilatus PC-6 Porter
Martin PBM Mariner

Any that I missed?!? :)

The Other Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:11 am

The other Jeff,

Respectfully I ask, but are you crazy? The F8 Crusader is on your list? The A7, really? I think that they both actually had beautiful lines.

I do agree on the Airbus 380 (it looks like a Beluga), and would add the Short 330 and 360 Series (the airplane that they threw away and instead kept the crate it was shipped in). I know you already had the Skyvan, but these stretched versions were especially ugly.

IMHO, of course.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Sun May 07, 2017 7:19 am

JarHead,

Crazy might be to strong a word for it; but yeah, kinda -- but that's a story for a different time... ;)

I've just never liked those lines of either the F-8 or the A-7. The bulbous intake right under the nose just turns me off, and the tail of the F-8 is all wrong, looks like the design was borrowed from the Republic F-105 Thunderchief -- which was no beauty queen either, but I'd take it over the Crusader or Corsair.

And speaking of the Short series -- here is quite literally putting lipstick on a pig...

Lipstick on Pig.jpg
Lipstick on Pig.jpg (168.88 KiB) Viewed 2267 times

Pink Aviation Services, based in Germany.

The Other Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:44 pm

TOJ,

I think the one thing that made me really like the F8 was the fact it was the last fighter in the Navy/Marine Corps inventory to have guns in the wings. Truly the last of the gunfighters. I liked the A7 because I worked with them as a FAC, and those guys could fly the $&!? out of that airplane in the air to ground support role. Maybe all that hides their minor imperfections, at least with me.

Nice pig, by the way. ;0P
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

Return to “Episodes”