UCAP #433 - "International Cherry"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jarheadpilot82

UCAP #433 - "International Cherry"

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:19 am

I was listening to the latest episode on an early drive to work this morning, and I have not quite finished it (No traffic driving to the Atlanta Airport at 4:30 in the morning, so the podcast was longer than the drive). I thought I would add just a couple of things -

1. A few years ago, a good friend of mine purchased a Cessna 182 from a guy in South Florida. My friend needed a High Performance endorsement, so I told him that we could go up and get it done. He told me that he had purchased the airplane from the owner of an Alligator Ranch. When I got to the airplane, I took one look and asked him if he had purchased the airplane from Snoop Dogg, because somebody had definitely pimped his ride -

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b8f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b8f.jpg (121.75 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b91.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4b91.jpg (129.46 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

They are, as they say, "Hell for stout." That Navajo might look nice with some new seats. It would be quite the story as to how they got them!

2. As far as Jack's flight not going over water, I agree that weather may have been the biggest factor. However, ETOPS is not the likely culprit for the rest of the story. FAR121.339 requires the following for extended over water flights (I am summarizing the FAR below) -

(1) A life preserver equipped with an approved survivor locator light, for each occupant of the airplane.
(2) Enough life rafts (each equipped with an approved survivor locator light) of a rated capacity and buoyancy to accommodate the occupants of the airplane. Unless excess rafts of enough capacity are provided, the buoyancy and seating capacity beyond the rated capacity of the rafts must accommodate all occupants of the airplane in the event of a loss of one raft of the largest rated capacity.
(3) At least one pyrotechnic signaling device for each life raft.
(4) An approved survival type emergency locator transmitter.
(b) The required life rafts, life preservers, and survival type emergency locator transmitter must be easily accessible in the event of a ditching without appreciable time for preparatory procedures. This equipment must be installed in conspicuously marked, approved locations.
(c) A survival kit, appropriately equipped for the route to be flown, must be attached to each required life raft.

The FAA defines extended over water flight as -

“(1) With respect to aircraft other than helicopters, an operation over water at a horizontal distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline; and

(2) With respect to helicopters, an operation over water at a horizontal distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline and more than 50 nautical miles from an off-shore heliport structure.”

Someone who knows more about Southwest's operations can fill in the blanks, but it may have been that Southwest does not carry rafts. Just a guess, though.

ETOPS is an engine reliability program and stands for Extended Operations, but that is another discussion for another post.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

charliefoxtrot

Re: UCAP #433 - "International Cherry"

Postby charliefoxtrot » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:41 pm

A little grist for the mill on our all-time favorite topic: ATC Privatization...
It was mentioned in a recent FlightAware news post that House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Bill Shuster is (or was) dating a top lobbyist for Airlines for America(!) Can anyone corroborate this?

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/b ... ist-117054
"Memory believes before knowing remembers." Faulkner

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Shuster was (not sure if he still is) dating Shelley Rubino, VP for global government affairs at Airlines for America (A4A).

No collusion there....! :roll:
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

Pilotcarman

Postby Pilotcarman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Living in Yellowstone National Park I have never had to deal with an alligator on the runway, but we do have our own hazards. 29S is the nearest airport to the Park Headquarters and is located in Gardiner, Montana. As you can see signage is not effective.
Attachments
DSCN0004.jpg
DSCN0004.jpg (182.62 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Well, I believe that bison hide would also make for some nice airplane seats - just sayin'...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Episodes”