UCAP #439 - "Turned Up To Eleven"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

UCAP #439 - "Turned Up To Eleven"

Postby AirportDude » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:33 am

Congrats on hitting another anniversary mark!

As I wrote Jack on Twitter a couple of days ago, I just wrapped-up listening to episode #44 - "One!" which was their 1-year anniversary episode, TEN YEARS AGO!!

Several topics they were talking about way back then are still relevant, and a couple aren't so much in the mix anymore. One item to note is that in their first year of podcasting they knocked-out 43 episodes! Compare that now to getting one episode (seemingly) every 43 days!! (just kidding guys, we know you have other lives)

Plus, a couple of items to note from back then:

"There's no Jack H like our Jack H" ;)
"Two words -- AIR CONDITIONING!" 8-)

Guys, thanks for all the great discussions & topics. Hope to join you next spring at SnF.

Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

TomBrusehaver

Re: UCAP #439 - "Turned Up To Eleven"

Postby TomBrusehaver » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Regarding turning off RADAR, I don't think it'll happen.

Skin paint is passive, ADS/B is active.

Want to bust a TFR, with no RADAR, no problem, turn off your ADS/B sqwaker and you are invisible.

I can see military coverage for all presidential visits, but how about football games?

Nope RADAR ain't going away.

AirportDude

Re: UCAP #439 - "Turned Up To Eleven"

Postby AirportDude » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Want to bust a TFR, with no RADAR, no problem, turn off your ADS/B sqwaker and you are invisible.

A very good point. Also, isn't the discrete IFF code activated by radar sweeps? An enemy isn't going to just turn-off the ADS-B out (if they have it) and hope they can penetrate the ADIZ. That's what RADAR is for!!
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

Return to “Episodes”