UCAP #442 - Bushing Migration

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

UCAP #442 - Bushing Migration

Postby AirportDude » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:44 am

So what's up with the statements about 'regrouping our podcast creative breaths' and 'organizing some stuff to take UCAP forward'?

That sounds like there is a major change coming to UCAP. Is the podcast reaching the end of its allotted life? :(

Dang, I was looking forward to hanging out with you guys at Sun N' Fun 2018!

Jeff
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

jimg

Re: UCAP #442 - Bushing Migration

Postby jimg » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:50 pm

In Episode 442, both Jeb and Dave recounted their experiences at NBAA's annual convention. They were favorably impressed by the turnout. Interestingly, another attendee who I don't know, but who claims to be a long time repeat attendee of NBAA's convention, was interviewed on

http://www.airplanegeeks.com/2017/10/18/474-2017-nbaa-bace-convention/
Episode 474 of the Airplane Geeks podcast. The gentleman expressed an opinion that the turnout this year was not quite what it had been in recent years. An interesting contrast, I think.

The segment with Mike Busch was fantastic, which is not surprising. Mike Busch is incredibly articulate, doesn't speak without knowing what he's talking about, and is basically a role model for A&P's. His various efforts on ADs and related regulatory matters have probably collectively saved the industry millions in unnecessary maintenance expense. I have been lucky enough to have attended his talks at Airventure and at the Sebring light sport expo. His talks are usually "standing room only" and for good reason!

Hopefully the boys will come back from a brief "hiatus" re-engergized.

Jeff, FWIW, I'll be at SNF 2018: got my room reserved! I'm sure the UCAP team will be there. They are, and have been, a vital part of the SNF radio line-up for nearly ten years.

Jim G

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:01 am

Jim,

I enjoyed Mike's interview also, and although I'm not a mechanic, I was able to get a real good sense of the issue with the bushing. What also caught my attention was the portion where he talked about gathering the engine performance data to see what trended before failures. I'm no data analyst, but my current and former jobs do have me dabbling in some data collecting and looking at/formatting it within MS Excel for information purposes. I can imagine what it's like to come across one of those 'EUREKA!' moments when correlating a data set to a component failure.

The other portion of the episode I thought interesting was when the guys were talking about Athens Ben-Epps airport in Georgia and the Mayor's office wanting to bring scheduled Part 139 operations there. There was a recent job announcement for the position of Airport Director there, obviously a result of a disagreement of this very issue. I can remember looking at that job, and thinking to myself "NO WAY!" because it specifically discussed the prospect of bringing in the airlines. On top of that, it's a college town, and no doubt there's a lot of politics and push from the University to get this service. I just don't see it happening due to to proximity to Atlanta and my airport here in Augusta - it's just too short of a spoke to either Atlanta (Delta) or Charlotte (American) for one, and there just wouldn't be enough business so support consistent scheduled airline service anyway. I don't envy whoever decides to accept that job offer, because I don't see them lasting long, unless they can somehow convince the powers in Athens that service just isn't feasible. Sounds like a rotating door position, and sets a precedent a bad relationship between the city and the airport!

In communicating with Jack via Twitter, he indicates that it's only a much needed break for the boys. Sounds like work for each of them has taken over, and the amount of time they dedicate to the podcast has to take a back seat for a time. Understandable!

As for SnF, I have a place to stay with family. However it means a 1.5 hour drive each direction to LAL, and I'm considering bringing camping gear just to avoid that drive on a daily basis. John & Nan Walsh at Air Boss & Advisory asked me last year if I wanted to work with them this year, and I'm strongly considering it, rather than just being an airshow patron.

Jeff
- AirportDude

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:40 am

I just listened to the Podcast and wanted to add my $.02 to the discussion about the Athens Ben Epps Airport.

Athens has had 2 different airlines in the past 13 years that I have lived there, both under the EAS (Essential Air Services) Program, and they had at least one before that. They have tried AHN-CLT, AHN-ATL, and most recently AHN-BNA (That's a real hub of activity - Athens to Nashville). And they all went away when the EAS contract expired. Why? Because there is simply not enough business to support anything other than a subsidized airline ticket between Athens and Atlanta or some other hub. Some people would pay the $45-50 one way to avoid the drive, but even at that, not enough people did it to create a viable business plan without heavy government subsidies.

Mr. Sims, and the other County Commission members in the "People's Republic of Clarke County" (as I like to refer to it), have no problem thinking that government subsidies should continue ad infinitum. Athens is simply too close to Atlanta or even Charlotte to create viable air line routes. The Commissioners have no concept of how to run an airport, which is why they should not run the Ben Epps Airport. I was asked by the Mayor a few years ago if I would consider applying for a seat on the Airport Board and I told her that I lived on the wrong side of the street (Oconee County) and did not qualify for a seat since I did not live in Clarke. Even though Athens should be considered a Regional Airport with input from other counties, it is tightly controlled by the Athens Clarke County government. The Airport Authority itself has no authority - all major decisions are merely forwarded to the County Commission who have people like Mr. Sims on their rolls.

The Airport Director job has, as I understand it, simply become available as a normal retirement function by virtue of the current Director's age. It could be a great job if the County Commission would let the Director actually run the airport. And Dave, that new building would be awesome for GA, if they would let GA use it. The previous building was only used by the CAP for meetings, for Falcon Aviation, a flight school and for the aforementioned limited air line service. It could not be accessed from the normal GA ramp. They used the Epps Aviation FBO only. I hope that that changes, but I suspect not.

Well maybe that is $.04 worth. I know that this is all local politics, but I add it to the discussion for others to consider their local airports and how they are run. We as GA pilots need to fight hard to keep the airports GA friendly and build up that part of the airport business plan, and not let the county governments chase after silly government subsidies that will never create viable air routes where viable air routes cannot grow. KAHN and Athens Clarke county would be much better served by growing the GA and corporate side (recently Zaxby's restaurants, a chain with over 800 locations, built their hangar at the nearby Winder airport even though the company is based in Athens, due to the inability to negotiate an acceptable ground lease with Clarke County) and let other municipalities lose money in chasing after EAS dollars.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Terry,

"People's Republic of Clarke County" is very telling in itself of the mindset and political demographic of the local government there - handouts for all who have their hand out.

It's sad that the Airport Authority can't operate as autonomously as it should -- that's why Authorities are created, to operate outside the influence of the city/county. Sounds like they've organized their governance to operate as an Airport Commission, and go scratching & begging to the city. It's even more sad that a corporation went to another nearby airport for a base of operations. The city and airport should have learned a lesson from that episode, but I doubt they saw beyond their own noses...

If you ever fly into AGS look me up. I'm Jeff/Ops 4 -- the FBO knows how to reach me!

Fair Skies!
- AirportDude

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Jeff,

I will do it!
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

AirportDude wrote:So what's up with the statements about 'regrouping our podcast creative breaths' and 'organizing some stuff to take UCAP forward'?

That sounds like there is a major change coming to UCAP. Is the podcast reaching the end of its allotted life?

No one should panic. It's just me wanting a breather. As much as I love talking with Dave and Jeb, doing the production year-round without any break, can be wearing. So now I've got some time with no UCAP deadlines.

The podcast will return, more or less unchanged(*), with all three of us.

(*) we may make some cosmetic changes to things like the themes, the standard announcements, the order of things. But the plan is for UCAP to continue to be basically the same podcast it's always been.

But, thanks for caring. It's kinda nice that people worry. :-)

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”