UCAP #444 - "Into the Clag"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

UCAP #444 - "Into the Clag"

Postby AirportDude » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Jack, congrats for your first trip to Udvar Hazy! My first visit there was this past June, and like you I was just astounded at how big the place is!

Two of my favorite aircraft on display are the Boeing 307 Stratoliner and the Dornier Do 335 Pfeil. The Stratoliner is graceful beauty of a bygone time before the jet age, which ironically sits across the way with the Boeing 367-80 (707 prototype). The Pfeil has always been a favorite aircraft since my childhood when my father built a plastic model of one, and did a fantastic job, too! But the plane was unique and ahead of its time, just like many of the German designs back then. Just the whole in-line arrangement of the forward and rear engines & propellers, and the low-mounted wings set nearly in between the front & rear made this a very symmetrical and beautiful aircraft.

As I mentioned on Twitter, you need to get over to Kennedy Space Center while you have some extra time in Florida. The displays there are awesome too. Many of the old rockets are on display, as well as the Shuttle Atlantis, and the Saturn V, both of which are just astoundingly HUGE! The Atlantis display is particularly cool since there are a few levels which you can look at the spacecraft, and the angle at which it's mounted. You're also able to walk completely underneath it! Worth the trip, trust me!

Boeing.jpg
Boeing.jpg (123.94 KiB) Viewed 6710 times

Atlantis.jpg
Atlantis.jpg (97.35 KiB) Viewed 6710 times

Dornier.jpg
Dornier.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 6710 times
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

areitsma

Re: UCAP #444 - "Into the Clag"

Postby areitsma » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Your comments regarding the Concorde at the “Museum of Flight” in Seattle (note the lack of “Boeing” in the name), and question re the Boeing SST leads me to note that a portion of the SST is in their restoration center located at Paine Field just to the north at Everett. As I recall, it’s a design/early stage mock-up of about the first 10 rows of seats and the cockpit. I was there to participate in an 2 day EAA SportAir aircraft electrical workshop a couple of years ago, and the class ended about an hour before the fabric covering workshop being held in the restoration hanger did, so I got a chance to wander around before being chased out. Another memorable aircraft is the Antonov An-2 biplane under going restoration, and Boeing’s 1941 Kenworth fire truck. I’ve never before been able to stand flat footed on the ground and look down into the cab of a KW in the years I drove truck on the Alaska Highway, even at 6’2”.

Reason for attending the workshop? I’m in the process of restoring a ‘67 Emeraude CP-301. The wood skeleton is in good shape, considering it’s age and the fact it mostly sat outside for 20 years next to the ocean at Delta Airpark, CAK3, just outside Vancouver, BC (near CYVR). It’s now in my carport on Vancouver Island, being sanded and re-sealed with epoxy, prior to re-wiring and re-covering to put it back in the air. 2 seats, side by side, O-235 Lycoming power and reputation for excellent handling should result in a lot of fun when I get it back in the air. Original intention was to have back in the air for the 50th anniversary of its first year of flight (2018), but work is interfering with that plan. I’ll keep plugging away at it. The journey is as interesting as the destinations will be.

I was in flight training for my PPL in 2013 when I discovered your podcast, and it helped inspire me to finish in ‘14, a few months after my 60th birthday. CF-CWL came into my life at about the same time. I’ve listened to all your back episodes, and await your new ones eagerly. The hiatus between 443 and 444 was painful :-) I’m sorry I missed you guys at Airventure ‘16. First time, and wow! Overwhelming for a small town boy. Jeb, I rode my ‘97 Honda ST1100 there and back, hit McMinnville (Spruce Goose), US50 thru Nevada and Utah into Colorado, Dayton, Ohio to the Wright Brothers memorial and the Air Force Museum (two days is too short) and then a week at Camp Scholer before hitting the Seattle Museum of Flight on the way back home. 2 1/2 weeks, 2 tires, and worth every dime.

Thanks for the entertainment and the education,
Art

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 am

Airport Dude,

Thanks for the tip on Kennedy Space Center. It's now on the list. One of these days. Nice pics too.

// Jack

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Art,

I'd love to be able to wander one of these restoration hangars. Cool stuff. And your project plane sounds great.

Thanks.

// Jack

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:56 am

Put the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola on the list, too. It's worth a diversion.

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Pilot Bill,

I went to the Pensacola Museum many years ago. Yes, it is terrific.

I went on the occasion of the Annual Blue Angels "Homecoming" show there. Also terrific.

// Jack

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I've been to the Udvar-Hazy annex three times, going back to 2004. Below are links to Flickr albums from the first two, in 2004 and 2012. The key thing about 2012 is that the space shuttle Discovery had replaced the Enterprise at that point. And of course there were some additional aircraft installed.

First visit - 2004:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/scofreyje ... 2524049687

Second visit - 2012:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/scofreyje ... 9991032562
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Wow it looks so much less "sterile" in that section now that the museum has placed so much more around the shuttle. When I was there in Jun 2017 there was a stage in front of the spacecraft, and and a presentation/discussion of Women in Aerospace going on with several members from the Air Force, Navy, Marines, Army, NASA participating with interaction from the audience. It was soooo cool! How awesome to have this kind of thing going on in such a fantastic display of aviation and space and a gathering of people!

I took lots of pictures that day, but didn't get any of the this going on because I was so engaged in the discussion and proud of the ladies on stage which I considered fellow sister veterans!

Jeff
- AirportDude

plutocrat03

Postby plutocrat03 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Should also try and visit the Imperial War Museum in Duxford, England.

A great collection of aircraft with a continental flavor.

The have one of the test Concrdes available for a walkthrough.

There is a separate building dedicated the the US Army Air Corps. A sobering experience.

I have pics of Udvar/Hazy and Duxford I can put on a dvd... if anyone is interested...

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 am

7th November 1974

Test Concorde G-AXDN flew from RAF Fairford, England to Bangor, Maine, in a record time of 2hrs 56 mins; this was the fastest ever east-west crossing of the North Atlantic by a commercial airliner (even though it wasn't in 'commercial' service yet).

Got to walk through this airframe back in 1996 while I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall, UK. Duxford was only about 45 minutes down the A11 motorway and it was a fantastic experience. Got to see my first Avro Vulcan up close -- BIG aircraft! Also there were flying exhibits going on that day -- plenty of Spitfires and even a Bristol Beaufighter making multiple passes over the airfield. I know I have pictures somewhere...

Jeff
- AirportDude

Return to “Episodes”