#446 "The Squeaky Windsock"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
PilotTim

#446 "The Squeaky Windsock"

Postby PilotTim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Flying in Hawaii is a lot simpler than represented in this episode. My wife and I have visited the islands 3 times in the past 7 years. Each time I've enjoyed seeing the islands from the left seat of a 172. You can't beat it. I've flown out of Lihue on Kauai, Kona and Hilo on the big island. Each time I located a local instructor to fly with. This eliminates the need to get checked out. An instructor knows the local flight rules that are specific to each island and can properly pronounce the names of the reporting points. The cost of 2 people for a helicopter tour is 2 to 3 times as expensive as a plane and the instructor. Plus you get to fly. And you determine where you go and how long you spend there.

In 2011 we flew over a rift eruption. A quarter mile crack in the ground with a curtain of lava shooting as high as 40 feet. It is at the top of a number of great memories in the islands.

PilotTim

Re: #446 "The Squeaky Windsock"

Postby PilotTim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:54 pm

A photo of said eruption.
eruption.jpg
eruption.jpg (239.4 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks for the excellent feedback, and for these awesome pictures! They are acknowledged in Episode #447.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

MtP_SC_Flyer

Postby MtP_SC_Flyer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:23 am

Loved the discussion about the C-130 operation on the USS Forrestal aircraft carrier. The pilot of that C-130 was one Lt. James H. Flatley, III. He would later retire as a Rear Admiral. I had the privilege of meeting and knowing Adm. Flatley as part of the East Cooper Pilots Association in Mount Pleasant, SC where I did my initial pilot training. Got to hear first hand from Adm. Flatley about this adventure. It was a fascinating experience, especially for a new pilot like myself at the time.

Return to “Episodes”