Aftershow Question about forums

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

Aftershow Question about forums

Postby AirportDude » Sun May 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Gang,

The question was asked on the aftershow of (I believe) episode #442 -- Should the forums remain with their low attendance? [sic]

It would be disappointing to see them go, especially with all the interesting posts, photos, and various topics which have been discussed over the years. But as one of the few active contributors over the past couple of years, it has also been disappointing to see the lack of participation here compared to just a few years back.

I guess main question should be; what happened? What was responsible for the downturn in contributions to the entries and discussions? Did people get jaded, or just simply lose interest?

UCAPers, post something to keep the forums going! Surely there can't be this many in the aviation community with nothing to say!!

ADS-B - Myth, or simply myth understood? Trump - Did he sell the 757 because of his "upgrade" to a wide body? David - Is there anything he won't drink, er, fly? Jeb - Did he ever get his alligator shoes? Jack - Has the New Media gotten old yet? Off-field landings, stupid government tricks, ANYTHING!!!!

Get off you duffs and post, post, POST!!!!
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Aftershow Question about forums

Postby jackhodgson » Sun May 20, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm all for having these forums come back to life. The reason for their decline, that seems most plausible to me, was told to me by Jeff Ward, so I'll let him explain.

I've been thinking about adding comments capability to the episode shownotes pages, as an alt for these forums.

As for old media, have you noticed that I changed my self description at the end of each episode.

// Jack

AirportDude

Postby AirportDude » Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 am

As for old media, have you noticed that I changed my self description at the end of each episode.

You're right -- Digital Media Producer now -- I've been listening to a lot of old episodes and I'm in the timeframe where you'd get occasional ribbing about the "new" getting old by now. I feel like one of the characters from Westworld trying to figure out if I'm living in a memory from the past or it's the present! (if you haven't started watching the show on HBO, it's really good & messes with your mind!)

Waiting for Jeff W's input...

Jeff L
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 am

Apparently I'm getting to be "old media" because I don't remember exactly what I said to Jack about this! Maybe he does and can fill in the gaps after I answer here.

To a certain extent, people are more likely to comment using a tool that they are already using regularly (like Facebook, for example) rather than one that they have to access specifically for a given community. And yet, I know that there are still active bulletin-board communities out there, and several podcasts have set up Slack teams that are quite active, despite the overhead of joining some of them. Would an "app" based tool be more attractive? Probably, given the near universal adoption of smart-phones and pad/tablets.

Also, we've had a couple of spambot attacks that might have put some people off.

I don't know if that's even close to what I said to Jack originally though!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:11 am

Scofreyjet wrote:I don't know if that's even close to what I said to Jack originally though!

I'm not sure if I remember either, but it may have been that you felt that activity in these Forums is/was driven by regular, weekly podcast episodes, and when we went to the irregular, 2-per-month format it stalled the interest here.

Or it was something else.

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”