Episode #461 - Jet Engines & 3D Printers

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
AirportDude

Episode #461 - Jet Engines & 3D Printers

Postby AirportDude » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am

Ah the Beechcraft Starship 2000! From the first time I saw those beautiful lines, the sexy 'swing wing' canards on the nose, and those pusher props, I was head over heels in love! Not since the F-111 had I been so enamored with an aircraft.

My familiarity with the Starship stems from when I lived in Wichita from 1992-1994, assigned to McConnell AFB. As a young single guy, I lived in an apartment complex on the east side of town, close to the base. My apartment was on the periphery of the property, and my bedroom looked out toward the east.

It was a great view, looking at a tennis court where cute girls would go out and practice. But I was distracted by other things... B-1Bs in the air overhead on their downwind legs practicing touch-n-goes for McConnell (this was when McConnell was still a bomber wing, not the super tanker wing it is today), but more especially watching brand-new unpainted Starships turning to short final to KBEC (Beech Factory Airport) runway 01!

Between watching the B-1s and the Starships I was in hog heaven! (of course the girls didn't hurt either) I mean, where else in the world do you get to see that stuff on a daily basis, and not have to pay any admission fee?

Years later when Beech announced it was discontinuing the program, buying-back the air frames, and destroying them I was heartbroken. By that time I had a few more Air Force assignments under my belt and I was now at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City. The last Starship I ever saw flew into Tinker about 2000 or 2001 and was still being flown around as a corporate for Beech/Raytheon. But that was the last one I ever saw in the air, and I wonder to this day if it was one that I got to see on it's inaugural test flight years before? I'll never know because I never tracked registries...

RIP Beechcraft Starship 2000
1989-2002
Switching to advisory, squawking VFR. Good day!
- AirportDude

dpbetts

Re: Episode #461 - Jet Engines & 3D Printers

Postby dpbetts » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:22 am

I just listened to this episode. You guys missed the boat on the Denzel Washington movie "Flight." I'll give Jack a pass since he didn't see it. :)

The reason they had to invert the airplane had nothing to do with engine failures - they failed because they were inverted. The reason he inverted the airplane was because of an uncommanded and mostly uncontrollable pitch down in the elevator control. Hence, the roll to inverted in an attempt to maintain level flight.

I believe this was based loosely on an actual accident, Alaska Airlines Flight 261, where a jackscrew failure caused an uncommanded pitch down in an MD 83 on a flight from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico to SFO then on to Seattle on January 31, 2000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Ai ... Flight_261

While certainly unrealistic, it was some pretty harrowing moments in the movie. The crash sequence in the movie is pretty heart-pounding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhxm5QEbYI

Cheers!

Doug B

Jeb

Re: Episode #461 - Jet Engines & 3D Printers

Postby Jeb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Doug, you're right! It was about the stuck pitch trim jackscrew...

As it happens, I was aloft in the same general area as Alaska 261 that day, with Mike Busch in his T310...

Thanks!

Jeb

Return to “Episodes”