UCAP #62 "Citrus Icing"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

UCAP #62 "Citrus Icing"

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:04 pm

FAA moves NOTAMs into the 20th Century... Search & Rescue in the 21st Century... and a new way to enjoy the UA Podcast. All this and more, on Uncontrolled Airspace, Episode #62 "Citrus Icing"

* Guest Announcer: Royce Ehrle
* UCAP Forum
* Listener Audio: Linden from Michigan
* InternetSAR.org
* Next Gen ELTs
* FAA Admin confirmation delayed
* Primer on how the FAA is led
* Skiplane Flyin @ Pioneer Airport Oshkosh Wisconsin
o Airventure Museum Webcam
* Ultralight to E-LSA conversion extension [avweb] [eaa]
* Great UL pic
* OFLotW: Antarctica
* Mother-Son first solos
* Low pay for CFIs too!
* Local NOTAMs now available online

StevenPam

Re: UCAP #62 "Citrus Icing"

Postby StevenPam » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:40 am

During the discussion about the Antarctic OFLotW, you mentioned ski-eqipped Twin Otters and C-130s landing there.

Did you know that Anarctica's first permanent ice runway (AU$10M/US$8.75M worth!) was opened in the last few weeks, and the Australian government is now able to fly scientists and supplies in and out on an A319. Details here at The Age newspaper: http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/antarctic-flight-opens-new-frontiers/2008/01/11/1199988589979.html
** I like aeroplanes **

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Heard something about that from a local pilot friend...the new runway, that is...without realizing the significance of it being the first permanent strip...

Man, what a job that musta been...worse the playing Greenbay in -4 temps and -24 windchill...Brrrr!!!

Thanks, Steven!

Landis

Postby Landis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Hey guys, great show as usual. But once again you brought up the ELT thing and I wasn't quite sure if everyone got the same impression from the discussion. So I decided to write up a little blurb about ELT's, Cospas-SARSAT, and regulations and I posted it in your listener mail section. I hope it helps clarify things in case anyone is still a bit confused.

-Landis

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks, Landis!

StevenPam

Postby StevenPam » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 am

I just got my copy of Flight Safety Australia in the mail today (CASA's free magazine for flight crew or anyone else who cares) and there is a short story on page 7 with a few further interesting factoids about the ice runway...

In bullet point form (for brevity, and to avoid infringing copyright):

• Its name is Wilkins Runway, on Wilkins aerodrome, near the Australian Antarctic Division's Casey Station
  • Runway length 4km (13,000 ft approx)
  • License for airline Skytraders to operate the A319 from Hobart to Wilkins aerodrome was approved by CASA in early January (carrying scientists and other Antarctic personnel on behalf of the Australian government)
  • Safety issues considered during approval process included fuel capacity for return journey (the aircraft cannot refuel in Anarctica); and ability to complete the trip on one engine
  • Funny/interesting issues with a runway made of ice:
    • How do you paint white lines on it?
    • The ice moves approx 12 metres (40 feet) per year... you'd better keep your GPS up to date :-)
** I like aeroplanes **

StevenPam

Postby StevenPam » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:37 am

P.S. Wilkins aerodrome & runway are named after Australian pilot and polar aviation pioneer Sir George Hubert Wilkins (1888 - 1958)... interesting stuff if you like a bit of aviation history
** I like aeroplanes **

Return to “Episodes”