Episode #115 "Barflying"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
lucaberta

Episode #115 "Barflying"

Postby lucaberta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:02 am

Did I miss it, or the chilly California air made Jack forget the usual intro to the episode? :D

Very interesting discussion on certification, LSA, IFR, and all that... I will probably need to listen to that part again.

What struck me was Amy's statement saying that 30% of the GA planes are Experimental. Is that true?

Oh, Dave, Jeb might not want to, but I am curious about the carpet burns... :D Is that the effect of the ROTFL effect that some of the funny disclaimers have on you? :D :D

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

champguy

Re: Episode #115 "Barflying"

Postby champguy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 pm

As always enjoyed hearing all of you and the intelligent discord on the issues.
The discussion about who is PIC where there is a student and CFI or two pilots of differing age or experience, or a passenger we would like to impress, is a valuable one for all of us. Unclear lines of responsibility can lead to trouble most unexpectedly. For me, about the hardest part of learning to fly was taking control from the CFI, and then again from the D.E. I am at my best when flying alone, the lines are clear, but when my wife is along things can get murky. Frank discussion can clear the air and make for a safer flight.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:38 am

Is your wife a pilot?

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:24 am

No
The point is that a passenger wants to talk about the destination or the time of the return. The pilot wants to talk about the weather, altitude, temperature, or pounds over gross. Different conversations can lead to poor judgement.

IdahoMike

Episode #115 "Barflying" - Highlander tricks

Postby IdahoMike » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Did you look at some of the other videos of the Highlander posted by Taildrgfun? Landing on the Mesa was nothing compared with the taking off and landing on the 30 degree slope. Most impressive was the deadstick take off and landing. Literally rolled the plane down the hill with the engine off and glided to a landing a couple miles away.

Dead Stick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z985xdXW-3w

Rounded Hilltop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zioQVUSWcY

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:35 pm

I've never seen Amy post here, so I'm not sure if she reads the forums... Anyway, I can't be the only one who wondered (tongue-in-cheek) if her "Women of Cessna" article included a centerfold... :twisted:
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2016: July 25-31 2017: July 24-30 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:56 pm

DJTorrente wrote:I've never seen Amy post here, so I'm not sure if she reads the forums... Anyway, I can't be the only one who wondered (tongue-in-cheek) if her "Women of Cessna" article included a centerfold... :twisted:

LOL! Your not. But then again, I've seen another magazine do "Women of Starbucks", "Women of the Hard Rock Hotel, Las Vegas", "Women of Wallstreet", ect. I'm sure that Amy's article had more on the women featured (content and otherwise).

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:38 pm

I considered adding my 2-cents to this thread.

But then I came to my senses.

I'm not going anywhere near this one.

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Follow up on this, then have her do your next BFR. You will get a work out. If I've learned little else, show respect where it's due.

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:13 am

Amy is certianly within her rights, I suppose, to insist that she be PIC on flights where the other pilot is a PP or better. But she might miss out on some interesting flying.

Nowhere in the FAR's does it mandate that the CFI be the acting PIC. The only thing mentioned is Part 61.51 where it deals with the LOGGING of PIC. In order for the CFI to ACT or be PIC if you will, that CFI must be legal to fly that airplane in all respects. Just being a CFI does not make one qualified to act as PIC.

Make no mistake, there are times when the CFI MUST be the legal PIC. Cases such as a student pilot that does not have a PP certificate or a PP that is not otherwise qualified to act as PIC for whatever reason.

If Amy were to want to fly with me in my plane, she would have to meet the open pilot requirements set out by my insurance company. And then she would have to accept the financial responsibilities that go along with it. If she would insist on being PIC, I would respectfully have to deny her a ride.

I understand her reasoning for wanting to be the PIC, but I think they are unfounded. I have an aquaintence that had a landing gear incident on an IPC and her CFI was never even questioned about it. Only my aquaintence, who was the PIC.

Also, just because a person may have more hours does not mean he is more qualified.

Bottom line is, neither hours, nor CFI does a PIC make.

Return to “Episodes”