Episode #125 "Landing Catywompus"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Soccer-Jock

Re: Episode #125 "Landing Catywompus"

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 am

Jack, at times I'm so jealous. I was born in Warwick, RI and used to love to hike (and often did) up in NH. Mount Potash, along the Kankamancus river... I would love to head up there and fly.

Thanks for the kind words and mention on Eps #125. Here's something you might find incredibly entertaining, that I didn't mention: I had said this was my first flight over significant water, but we did not follow the chain of islands down (rather, we flew Victor 157 down from the DVALL intersection). So I went and bought us the CO2-inflatable FAA-approved PFD's prior to our trip. I listened to episode #68 (Cherry Bomb!) several times. You'll remember this is where Amy recants her story of ditching off of Key West.

Most of our flight was along the west coast of Florida, within easy shot of several airports as Jeb well knows. When we got over Ten Thousand Islands and about to head over the 55 mile stretch of Gulf water, I hand my passenger an un-inflated PFD and I tell her: "We have to put these on now, just so that they are on... you know... in case of." She looks at me with a quirky smile and says "Ok,... um... why?" My answer was an unplanned but funny response: "Because that's what Amy said to do!"

She, who is just now warming up to the fact that an airplane is a pretty neat way of getting there, says: "Who the hell is Amy?"

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:56 pm

Who is Amy?
She is the one with the really sexy voice.
We'd better just leave it at that.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:33 pm

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :!: :!: :!:

Man, SJ, you make us proud to be a voice in your head...Still not done chuckling over this one; and my Partner and Bride, Annie, got a big grin reading it...she still remembers well the leg to Key West from just about Everglades City direct...my nerves, the just-rented life raft in the cabin...my feet straining against the rudder pedals to the point my muscles made the tail quiver :oops: ...

Cool trip, smart investment, great story...thanks, man!

Dave

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Dave, did you LAND at Everglades City?
And if yes... then that Annie of yours is a strong woman... she continued fly with you? (chuckle).

We had contemplated stopping there (at everglades city X01) for a "restroom" break. But my passenger leafed through the clipboard she was holding... this clipboard had print-outs of all the airports we would pass along our trip. She reads it back to me: "Runway length about 1800 feet, pilots cautioned... wild boar, alligators, and birds frequently on the runway and in the vicinity." As we fly above it she sees the tiny landing strip that is the entire length of a spoil island, with water just a 50 feet or so from both the approach and departure ends, a boat zipping around the waterway. -- "Oh, Hell No." she says.

We didn't stop.

(actually... I didn't think it looked that bad.)
X01.jpg
X01.jpg (171.46 KiB) Viewed 2665 times

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Soccer-Jock wrote:Dave, did you LAND at Everglades City?

:D :D :D No, SJ, we didn't; we overflew it and got a look, but it was basically a turnpoint to align us with a corridor to EYE without crossing the ADIZ itself...

Soccer-Jock wrote:And if yes... then that Annie of yours is a strong woman... she continued fly with you? (chuckle).

Well, man, despite us not landing at Everglades City, she saw plenty of, well, let's saw unusual strips from her seat on the right...she also rode out metal-bending turbulence a couple of times, rooted around to find a different plate book a few times while inside a black eggshell, and held on for dear life when we had to 180 to avoid a Level 3 storm by running like hell for an airstrip only 2,000 feet long with no way to get upwind on the landing...and she still flew with me the next time and the next time and...well, so far, so good. She knew what she was in for on our first few dates -- hang gliding and ultralight stuff right outta the gate 8-)

Soccer-Jock wrote:We had contemplated stopping there (at everglades city X01) for a "restroom" break. But my passenger leafed through the clipboard she was holding... this clipboard had print-outs of all the airports we would pass along our trip. She reads it back to me: "Runway length about 1800 feet, pilots cautioned... wild boar, alligators, and birds frequently on the runway and in the vicinity." As we fly above it she sees the tiny landing strip that is the entire length of a spoil island, with water just a 50 feet or so from both the approach and departure ends, a boat zipping around the waterway. -- "Oh, Hell No." she says.

We didn't stop.

(actually... I didn't think it looked that bad.)
X01.jpg

Well, have landed Ultralights at a couple of spots where the 'gators made the departure direction different from the arrival, landed float planes on smooth, glass-like water -- only to have a couple of sets of eyes pop up and swim our way from a couple hundred feet away...and once had a snake fall out of the cloth wing on a CGS Hawk I was flying from a woodland strip in Tennessee; not sure how it liked the fall from 500 feet...and Annie wasn't with me for any of these...

Such as the lot of the Air Head Wife...no, not the Airhead, the Air Head's... :D

Dave
ps -- been into shorter...but it's strictly done on a have-need basis ;)
dh

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:30 pm

OK Dave - so the GF read your response. Her eyes being wide as pies while reading, she calmly looked at me and said unless I mistook her for Indian Jones... I had better not ever take her on any outing like those that you mention. :D :D :D

As for the shorter strips... I need many more hours under my belt before I try something 1800 feet or less in muggy Florida. I'm pretty sure I can nail a nice landing. But I'm not sure I'd get back out. Perhaps time and experience will tell.

Thanks for the exchange!

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Jack, thanks for the shout-out and mention of the raffle in episode 127... All of us at the museum appreciate it!
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:26 am

t0r0nad0,

Our pleasure. It sounds like a great museum.

http://www.1940airterminal.org/

-- Jack

PilotBrad

Postby PilotBrad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm

JHWellington wrote:I don't think you are supposed to "adjust for wind." Currently, ATC issues you a heading to fly, they have already considered the wind. There has been much debate about whether it would be better to be issued a "ground track" to fly, but for now, my understanding is that ATC expects you to fly a compass heading.

Just getting back to this now...
Yes, as I understand it you are correct. My original statement about adjusting for wind while on a vector was wrong... I was thinking about it in relation to flying the final approach path and it somehow crept in my note in the wrong place.
Brad
iPhone App Directory: http://www.aviatorapps.com
Flying Blog: http://PilotBrad.com
RV-7 Construction: http://www.RV7Factory.com

Return to “Episodes”