Episode #126 "That Didn't Mute?"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
lucaberta

Re: Episode #126 "That Didn't Mute?"

Postby lucaberta » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:56 pm

BRU25L wrote:When I said some Belgian beers are OK I was using my British talent for understatement.

now we're talking the same language! :D And blame a bunch of brits for my getting close to beers again, too! Bumped into the local Hash House Harriers group a few years ago, and loved it right away. Just the right mix of sports, friendliness, stupidty, and of course lots of booze! That's how I got to know the Delirium Cafe... ;)

I live at the approach end of 25L at Brussels/Zaventem, almost in the countryside

sounds to me like you're talking about Erps-Kwerps or thereabouts. Me I was in town, Woluwe-Saint-Pierre, on the left turn of the SOPOK departures, just as planes would roll level inbound to HUL VOR, 3000' climbing.

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

randyc

Postby randyc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:51 pm

Glad to hear that you got past your media driven stereotypes of West Virginia...we're really not nearly as bad as they portray us!!

I used to fly out of MGW back when I was in college at WVU, we had a lot of fun at that airport and I still fly in and out when going to games or taking the kids on campus visits. One thing to clarify, it sounds like you guys were talking about Charles Town in the eastern panhandle, not Charleston (CRW) closer to the center of the state. The rivers that have their confluence at Harpers Ferry are the Potomac and the Shenandoah, for white water you'd want to go to the New or the Gauley.

RandyC
Hurricane, WV

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 pm

BRU25L wrote: anyway doesn't have a plural.

Of course it does, as used in the following:

"I just listened to UCAP one-twenty-six. Just how many "anyways" were there in that episode anyway?" ;)
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

HJBlue

Re: Episode #126 "That Didn't Mute?" Beta

Postby HJBlue » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Beta is when the blade angle of the prop is controlled by the throttle. Flat Pitch and reverse on the Saab 340 is beta, since both are controlled by the throttle.

falcon124

Postby falcon124 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:25 am

lucaberta wrote:the Delirium Cafe... ;)

Here in Melbourne (Australia! :) ) there are a couple of bars that serve a variety of beers, especially Belgian beers. That's where I got to reacquaint myself with the "Delirium Tremens" beer - ceramic looking bottle with pink elephants around the neck. Much fun to have a few of those (with their higher than average alcohol content.

Check out the Wikipedia info on the DT beer at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delirium_Tremens_(beer)

I've had this beer in Argentina and in Australia but I've always been sure to not have it within 24 hours of going flying :) :)

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:17 am

Then you should go to the source of that beer, which is the pub I mentioned, of course... ;)

There is a special brew around Christmas time, that is even more powerful than the already strong Delirium Tremens, it's the one mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

http://www.pascalkolkman.com/delirium/indexeng.html

Pink elephants, that's what appears in front of you after you have too much of that stuff... :D

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

jschnud

Postby jschnud » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Funny that this forum should be having a discussion of beers, considering it is (mostly) an aviation forum, but when the subject is beer, as a born-and-bred son of Wisconsin, home of Leinenkugel's and a host of other brews, I'll be happy to throw my 2 cents worth into the mix.

Back when I was attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison, known to the rest of the world as Wisconsin, we had a standard greeting for most people who would drop by the room, apartment, or whatever. Actually, it was the greeting given to all people dropping by the room, excepting parents or police. "Want a beer?" When the visitor inevitably responded, "Sure!", we'd say, "Well, we don't have any beer, but we do have Leinenkugel's." The reaction to the Leinie's was predictable: If the visitor was from the Chicago area, they loved it. From Wisconsin, no big deal. Europeans, of which we had quite a few, Wisconsin having more foreign nationals as students than any other university in America, generally compared Leinie's unfavorably with urine, but the strongest reaction came from the Asian students. They all hated it. I'm not sure why. I've tried Sapporo several times, and I haven't found it anything to write home about, and the stuff from China, while it may have barley malt and hops in it, I swear is cooked up in a boiling cauldron with bat's wings and eye of a newt in it. Personal preference, I guess.

Leinie's had the distinct advantage of being cheap, and on a college student's budget, cheap is usually good. I say usually because about this time somebody had the idea to market generic beer. Brown bottle, white label with "BEER" printed on it in black ink. Brewed by Falstaff. Not in any way, shape or form a seasonal brew like Honey Weiss. Truth be told, barely potable, but what are you going to do when you are down to $1.48 in your pocket? Even so, after a couple of six-packs of "BEER", even the most cast-iron stomach is ready for something else.

So what do you do when you are tired of Leinie's and can't bear the thought of more generic beer? Stop drinking? You're kidding, right? This is college. Not only college, but college in a state where the drinking age is still only 18! We came up with an unusual, thought initially bad, solution. We brewed our own. A warning to those who want to try this themselves. Unless you know what you are doing, you are almost certainly going to end up with too much carbonation. If your brewing vat is glass, like our first vat, the resulting explosion is messy, not to mention disheartening. Clean-up takes several days. Not being discouraged easily, we started over, trying a different recipe. I suspect we were headed for a repeat performance of our first try at brewing, when fate intervened in the form of several alumni visiting the fraternity house where we lived. Turns out these alumni were, like several of us, food science majors as undergrads, who went on to become brew masters working for Schlitz. Laugh all you want about Schlitz, but these guys were making six figure salaries at the time of a rather severe recession. They knew beer, but the accountants ran the brewery. Anyway, they, in a matter of a couple of hours put us straight and told us exactly how to fix our beer from getting the proper amount of carbonation to solving the skunking odor that beer can have. End result - pretty good beer. Out of pocket result - way expensive beer. In a couple of months, we were back to Leinie's and Special Export, aka "Green Death."

What's this got to do with aviation? Nothing in the least. However, I remind UCAP listeners that AirVenture is held each year in Wisconsin, home of Leinie's and a whole host of real beers with real brew masters conjuring up some of the best beer on the planet. When you are in Oshkosh this year, ask around. There is plenty of beer available to satisfy your taste for something different, and you'll find it a nice change from the mass-marketed stuff they sell at the ballpark for $5 a glass.

HJBlue

Postby HJBlue » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Beta is when the throttle/power lever movement is changing the prop blade angle. Most the time only on the ground, but some deHaviland aircraft, Dash 7 and 8 have flight beta.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 pm

jschnud wrote:What's this got to do with aviation? Nothing in the least. However, I remind UCAP listeners that AirVenture is held each year in Wisconsin, home of Leinie's and a whole host of real beers with real brew masters conjuring up some of the best beer on the planet. When you are in Oshkosh this year, ask around."

Oshkosh and the common experience shared by Jeb, Jack and Me is how the whole subject of Leinnie's came up on UCAP, oh, many, many episodes back...

And living in the world where the common response to the common question, "What beer to you have?" asked to the common average College Age waitress is the seemingly standard (insert Valley Girl voice here:) "Bud, Bud Lite, Coors, Coors Lite, Miller, Miller Lite," Leinnies of several varieties serves as a far superior answer ;) ...

Seems it was well after my 20th Oshkosh before I even saw Leinnie's outside Wisconsin...and my pilot buddies in ICT seem to enjoy most of the varieties they're tried.

So in fact, the occasional Leinnie's mention is slightly aviation-related because of our OSH connection to the product.

But despite our enthusiasm for most of the Leinnie's varieties we've sampled, they've yet to notice our unofficially designated official brew brand and offer us any sponsorships or anything...not surprising, given that in a world where curves and cup sizes constitute so much of beer marketing -- and Jack, Jeb and I don't quite have the figures they want :lol: :lol:

And now, back to our irregularly scheduled irregular aviation irreverence... ;)

Dave

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Dave Higdon wrote:...not surprising, given that in a world where curves and cup sizes constitute so much of beer marketing -- and Jack, Jeb and I don't quite have the figures they want :lol: :lol:

That would be a great skit to perform at OSH; you guys trying to do THAT kind of beer commercial. Ha Ha!!

I have no problem getting Leinenkuegels in Texas now. I only ever tried it because I heard you guys talk about it. But, I really like it. If the marketing guys at Leinies were smart then they would pick up on the mini trend and transfer it to the larger market.

Return to “Episodes”