Episode #126 "That Didn't Mute?"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jschnud

Re: Episode #126 "That Didn't Mute?"

Postby jschnud » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Glad to hear that Dave considers Leinie's somewhat aviation related. Personally, I think Leinie's is related to any enjoyable activity - despite our college claims that "we don't have beer, we only have Leinie's" :D

Anyway, if you are going to be in Wisconsin, specifically in the Milwaukee area over the 4th of July holiday, there's another big Wisconsin celebration going on - Summerfest. They bill it as the World's Largest Music Festival. On the Milwaukee lakefront, Summerfest has its own grounds, with permanent facilities - stages, concessions, restrooms, nothing temporary like some city festivals, notably Chicago's Taste of Chicago celebration. Not to demean Taste of Chicago. They do a nice job. Summerfest just has better facilities, and I can prove it. Various businesses sponsor areas at Summerfest, and one of the best is . . . Leinie's Lodge! :D :D

What does all this have to do with aviation? Again, nothing whatsoever. Except for Leinie's Lodge - Home of the UCAP Pre-Oshkosh Celebration :D Why not?

jschnud

Postby jschnud » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 pm

BTW - Leinie's was sold to Miller Brewing a few years back, and Miller is now part of SABMiller, a big, multi-national brewer. I would guess marketing thinks only college guys drink beer, and drinking beer will attract all the hot babes. The thing the marketing guys need to remember is that the hot babes dig pilots, not beer-guzzling, college slackers. Right? :lol:

jschnud

Postby jschnud » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:49 pm

Sorry, I messed up the Summerfest information. It is now US Cellular Connection and Leinenkugel's Stage. My mistake, but I'm one of those people who adjust slowly to change. I still call it National, not Reagan National. I'll probably never make the switch from Columbia 350 and 400 to Cessna 350 and 400. Oh, and it's Beechcraft, now and forever. ;)

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun May 03, 2009 12:54 am

PIREP: Enjoyed a couple of Leinie classic amber beers tonight. I didn't have to buy the beverages at the fancy grocer this time. It was in the neighborhood grocer's isle. That's remarkable on two counts. First is that my town in Texas was dry not that long ago. I used to have to travel to get adult beverages. The fact that Miller bought Leinenkugels explains why it has been increasingly easy to get.

I made the comment to my facebook friends who are mostly high school friends from the New York City area that the
Classic Amber tasted remarkably like the New Amsterdam Brewery microbrew on 11th ave and 50 something in NYC that I used to get back in the day. I've been on a quest to find New Amsterdam beer for a long time. A google search brought up a place in Toronto that I don't think is related. I'm guessing that the New Amsterdam brewery exists no longer except in the new incarnation as Leinies Classic Amber.

The aviation angle? None whatsoever except that I found Leinies from some fellow aviation brethren who I also hope to tip a glass back with in July.

jschnud

Postby jschnud » Thu May 07, 2009 10:01 pm

PilotBill - have you tried Leinie's Red? My favorite. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can't ship you a case to sample. Or, maybe you'd prefer to pick some up yourself. If you fly into Air Venture, the Leinie's brewery is in Chippewa Falls, WI, not far from Chippewa Valley Regional Airport (KEAU). From Oshkosh, fly a heading of 294 degrees for 158 statute miles. Be a great way to add another state to your list of states you have flown in.

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri May 08, 2009 12:03 am

I was there last summer, I even had a loaner car. If I had only known I was so close to the source.
Could have saved a bundle during the week at OSH if I had brought a case with me.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri May 08, 2009 3:45 pm

jschnud wrote:...have you tried Leinie's Red? My favorite.

Ditto...my fav, too...well, along with 1888, Creamy Dark, Big Butt Dopplebock...try to alternate 'em...

Least favs: any of 'em with a fruit undertone...too sweet for me (and folks say I'm soo sweet already :roll: :roll: :roll:

And this reminds me...missed 15-percent-off Microbrew Wednesday this week at my local beverage retailer, ran out last night...so gonna have to lean on faking that I'm <ahem> qualified for the Senior Citizens Discount instead :lol:

Dave

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Haven't tried the Red yet. Enjoyed a nice classic amber this evening. I'll look for the Red.

Return to “Episodes”