Episode #150-"Three"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Dave Higdon

Re: Episode #150-"Three"

Postby Dave Higdon » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:32 am

Solid, man...just excellent...

Now, any flight-school operators or employees out there who want to step up and talk about why this seems to be the state-of-affairs at too many schools? Or why it has to be that way? Or point out some outfit that does it better?

Love to hear from em...

Dave

Mtns2Skies

Postby Mtns2Skies » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:02 am

Way to go on #150! Dave, I would like to know why you bleeped T**d suckers of America, but not Totally silly asses? :D As long as its insulting the TSA don't worry about it. Loved the episode, as I love all of them! :)

The FBO/flight school I'm at is surprisingly booming, I almost dislike it because of how hard it is to get a plane. We have 5 152's, 2 172SP's, 1 172, 1Seneca, 1 Arrow. Unfortunately there is a rule in which we are not allowed to take out a plane for more than 3 hours, which I dislike very much, but I wont change schools because I like my CFI so much. Im doing my instrument training now. One of the reasons for the boom is a LOT of foreign students train there (N14 Flying W) before going back to their country to fly in that country's airline.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 am

I was gonna comment that it sounded like a great FBO, but the more I think about this 3 hr max rule the more I wonder. What do they do about student long cross country's?

-- Jack

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:42 am

Mtns2Skies wrote:Way to go on #150!

Thanks, Man! Much appreciated... :D

Mtns2Skies wrote:Dave, I would like to know why you bleeped T**d suckers of America, but not Totally silly asses? :D As long as its insulting the TSA don't worry about it. Loved the episode, as I love all of them! :)

The Beeper was getting lonely from lack of use...and there are enough asses in public to make it a lot less of a jolt than a T**d suckers station at air-carrier airports...but really, it was about using The Beeper...don't want it to feel neglected. 8-)

Mtns2Skies wrote:The FBO/flight school I'm at is surprisingly booming, I almost dislike it because of how hard it is to get a plane. We have 5 152's, 2 172SP's, 1 172, 1Seneca, 1 Arrow. Unfortunately there is a rule in which we are not allowed to take out a plane for more than 3 hours, which I dislike very much, but I wont change schools because I like my CFI so much. I'm doing my instrument training now. One of the reasons for the boom is a LOT of foreign students train there (N14 Flying W) before going back to their country to fly in that country's airline.

Well, sounds like a great operation in balance...plenty of airplanes, excellent variety (particularly with the two Pipers) and enough demand to get away with the three-hour limit...but as Jack asked, how do they handle the student's long cross-country? Though in looking at the requirements, even a 150 should be able to accomplish the task, get the sigs and back -- but they won't have any time to dawdle of otherwise indulge in any impromptu hangar flying... :|

Regardless, you've hit on a good one for you and that's the important thing...and after you're done, well, have I ever mentioned anytime, anywhere, how truly affordable a a good, pre-owned piston single can be? :roll: :lol: :roll:

Again, thanks for the head pats, Man...makes it all worthwhile...

And good luck with the instrument ticket...hardest work in an airplane ever for me -- but gave up juice more than worth the squeeze...

Dave

Mtns2Skies

Postby Mtns2Skies » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Only CFI's are allowed to schedule a student's flight for more than three hours. I do not know the policy for normal renters, I believe it is still a 3 hour limit but I could be wrong. Thanks for the encouragement! About the plane... SO Far I want a Bellanca Viking... But it changes nearly every week. Anyway, I'm a far way off from owning a plane considering I'm 14. :)

Yeah I have yet to dawdle at an airport, we don't even shut down, just turn around and depart.

Actually a newly minted Egyptian PPL did this to one of our planes... They were doing a soft field takeoff and never lowered the nose, he stalled, the wing dropped hit the ground and he cartwheeled, he had no injuries, took the FAA exam a week later and is still flying. The plane is totalled.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/f2f4/3564281061/

Austin

http://skier2av8or.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Mtns2Skies on Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Ow,owowowowow....that looks like it was no fun to ride out...glad it was a "good" landing...shame it wasn't a "great" one...

Dave

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:20 am

Congratulations on Episode 150. Here's to unlimited more.

I have to credit the Pilot Cast group for getting me hooked on podcasts. Kudos to them.

I go to AvWeb and Aero News Network to get current news and events.

But I come to UCAP to get my dose of commentary on what I see in AvWeb and ANN. As far as I am concerned, nobody does it better. I don't always get to listen when they come out, but I do eventually get to them. My only "complaint" is that they don't come out often enough. :twisted: :D

But seriously, keep up the good work and I wish you all the best in the future.

Greg

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks, Greg...much appreciated! As for the comment about frequency...man, once a week is work enough...at least, until we get a raise ;)

Dave

Return to “Episodes”