Episode #152 "Dave Needs NyQuil"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Episode #152 "Dave Needs NyQuil"

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:39 pm

#152 is posted.

Its title: "Dave Needs NyQuil", got me to wondering how many episodes have been named after one of us, and how evenly spread they are among the three of us.

#31 "Dave Sings!"
#52 "Senor Capitan Higdon"
#71 "Jeb Was Right"
#92 "Jack Wants a Brick"
#102 "Dave Needs a New ISP"
#110 "Dave's New Modem"
#122 "JIFR" (Jack's IFR)
#130 "Jeb is Cranky & Snarky"
#134 "Uncle Jeb's Backyard Avgas"
#145 "Jeb's Shiny Spinner"
#152 "Dave Needs NyQuil"

Breaking it down it comes out to:

Dave 5
Jeb 4
Jack 2

I'm not sure what that means. You tell me.

ruckin

Re: Episode #152 "Dave Needs NyQuil"

Postby ruckin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Jack needs more episodes? Such as "Jack b nimble and gets his tail wheel"

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:02 am

Jack needs a tailwheel, and the plane to go with it.
Anyone can drive a plane, get a tailwheel and find out if you are a real pilot, every time you land it.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:47 am

Halloween is coming up. Maybe "Jack 0'Landing."

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:20 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:Halloween is coming up. Maybe "Jack 0'Landing."

LMBO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waytogo, Bill!

Dave

topilot

Postby topilot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:19 am

Jeb had mentioned the rule on the definition of complex aircraft as "having retractable gear, constant speed prop and cowl flaps". I would like to cite that the true FAA definition states nothing about cowl flaps http://www.geocities.com/cfidarren/r-complex.htm. Several models of complex aircraft do not have cowl flaps (Mooney, Arrow, etc). I think Jeb meant wing flaps.

He also said the old IFR requirements were that a pilot had to have over 200 hours total time in the logbook to be qualified to take the instrument check ride. It was actually 125 hours. Now there is no minimum total time requirement. Only the 40 hours of instrument after pilot certification. The national average of instrument time that most applicants have in their logbooks is about 65 hours the day they take the check ride.

You guys are doing a great job by hanging in there with your regular podcasts! Others, I am sorry to say, seem to be falling by the wayside.

Tom Gilmore, CFII&ME

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 pm

The Comanche is another complex (sometimes high-performance) airplane without cowl flaps...so believe you're correct and the reference backs you up...

But backing up Jeb, time was when the requirement to take the IFR check ride was 200 hours...was working in the communications office of AOPA when the proposal was being debated to drop the requirement to 125 hours, the thinking being it was better to encourage instrument training early -- and with the average time students needed to get the Private and the 40-plus it takes to get the instrument, pilots would need a lot less interim flying to clear the hurdle...

The new proposals takes it down even farther in -- my belief -- a nod to the big institutional flight schools that can work a student through both and then combine the checks...but WTHDIK?

Thanks, Tom...

Dave

flyguy79

Postby flyguy79 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 pm

There was mention in this episode (I think) of owners removing cover panels for the IA in preparation for an annual. Though few IA's would admit it, owners are not supposed to remove inspection panels on their planes for an annual. Most people get this confused because of the section in the FARs that says maintenance can be done by someone under the supervision of a qualified mechanic. Unfortunately, this does not include inspections. The inspection has to be done by an IA, and the inspection includes removal of inspection panels and access doors. The work necessary to bring an A/C into airworthiness after said inspection can be done by any mechanic (or someone under the supervision of a mechanic). Most people assume that since the inspection and corrective action are done by the same person (the IA), any work that results from the annual can be done by someone under the supervision of the IA. This is not the case. That's not to say that it doesn't happen, though ;)
Jon

Private+Instrument
A&P

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:42 pm

flyguy79 wrote: and the inspection includes removal of inspection panels and access doors.

Reference, Please.

flyguy79

Postby flyguy79 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Greg Bockelman wrote:Reference, Please.

FAR 43, Appendix D: (a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.
Jon

Private+Instrument
A&P

Return to “Episodes”