Episode #152 "Dave Needs NyQuil"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
champguy

Re: Episode #152 "Dave Needs NyQuil"

Postby champguy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:46 am

A strict interpretation of this makes a mockery of the owner assisted annual.
In a shop with an IA and mechanics working under him, does the IA have to do all the grunt work himself? Including washing the underbelly to sample the quality of the grease to find it's source?
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Amen to that. And probably gets ignored by a lot of the shops in the country.

flyguy79

Postby flyguy79 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:22 pm

champguy wrote:...does the IA have to do all the grunt work himself? Including washing the underbelly to sample the quality of the grease to find it's source?

It's interesting that you mention grease on the underbelly as washing the aircraft is mentioned in the very next paragraph of Appendix D. That's exactly why an IA is supposed to do the "grunt work" himself - because the IA may see something that a mechanic (and certainly an owner) may not. It's like the joke about the mechanic charging $500 to turn a screw a quarter turn (it's knowing which screw to turn and how far). Don't get me wrong - I'm not naive enough to think that it doesn't happen - it probably happens more often than not. My point is only that it doesn't jive with the FARs. My goal was only to correct the misconception that anyone can do anything as long as it's under the supervision of a mechanic/IA.
Jon

Private+Instrument
A&P

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:14 pm

flyguy79 wrote:It's interesting that you mention grease on the underbelly as washing the aircraft is mentioned in the very next paragraph of Appendix D. That's exactly why an IA is supposed to do the "grunt work" himself - because the IA may see something that a mechanic (and certainly an owner) may not.

So I suppose I shouldn't wash my airplane before I take it to annual. And it is by no means a certainty that an owner wouldn't see something amiss.

Yeah, I know. I am taking it to the absurd, but holy cow...

flyguy79

Postby flyguy79 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:21 pm

I never said the regs make sense....
Jon

Private+Instrument
A&P

txpilot82

Postby txpilot82 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm

It seems to me that the more eyes inspecting an aircraft (owner and IA, or A&P and IA) that more discrepancies would be found. Just my two cents...

flyguy79

Postby flyguy79 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:02 pm

txpilot82 wrote:It seems to me that the more eyes inspecting an aircraft (owner and IA, or A&P and IA) that more discrepancies would be found. Just my two cents...

Couldn't agree more - just don't call it an annual. People take the whole supervision thing to the other extreme and get their IA buddies to pencil whip an annual because, "hey - I checked it over and it looks good. Sign it off and trust me ;)"
Jon

Private+Instrument
A&P

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:00 am

There is a full range of activity out there. Some fields have no adult supervision, others have too much. Some pilots should not be allowed to have a screwdriver, and no doubt there are IAs who will inspect only paper. It is up to us to fly safe and legal planes wherever we are.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Episodes”