Episode #154 "Skynet Looming"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
txpilot82

Episode #154 "Skynet Looming"

Postby txpilot82 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 am

I'm very much sold on ADS-B. I'm based in the NW corner of the Texas panhandle. If I fly north into KS I can't get flight following unless I'm at least 8,500 ft and sometimes then ATC loses me. Same if I go south but not as bad. Need to be at least 6,500 ft. My holdout is no ground stations in my area. Looks like there is a planned station at Garden City but who knows when that will happen.

I also fly in an area where some pilots refuse to use their COM. :x Being able to see traffic would be a huge help to safety.

What is everyone else's thoughts? Great technology? Another way for the MAN to keep tabs on us?

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Episode #154 "Skynet Looming"

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 pm

How would ADS-B help you "to see traffic" which "refuse to use their COM". I'm generally supportive of ADS-B, though it baffles me that the implementation dates are so far out in the future. But I'm not sure how it helps with planes that don't want to be in the system.

txpilot82

Postby txpilot82 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Most of the time I believe that they have their COM on, just not talking. I don't think they're refusing to be in the system, just lazy.
I would hope they would have their transponder on, but you're right, I suppose if someone refuses to be in the system then I'll have to keep my Mark I eyeball focused.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:03 pm

txpilot82, i just noticed your "avatar" here in the forums. Is that your biplane? It looks beautiful. What is it? Tell us the story.

drogo

Postby drogo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:20 pm

As to engines, if DeltaHawk (http://www.deltahawkengines.com/) comes to fruition, it's pretty close to what everyone was talking about in a "better" engine technolgy.

txpilot82

Postby txpilot82 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:51 pm

Jack -

I wish I could tell you that was my plane. I wish I could tell you I at least manipulated the controls...

The biplane is a 1929 Travel Air. During our honeymoon in San Diego last summer my bride and I took an aerial tour of the coast. We flew with Barnstorming Adventures (http://www.barnstorming.com) based out of Montgomery Field. They have two Travel Airs. If you are the only passenger they will let you fly from the front seat. Since my wife and I went together the pilot took our stick out so we could fit. If anyone is ever in the area I would definitely recommend them. I would love to go back so I could fly it myself.

They also offer air combat and warbird rides. UCAP meetup anyone? I'd love to see Jack, Jeb, and Dave go at each other. :D

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:16 am

We keep changing the date of the inevitable. It was once as early as 1997. Currently, I expect this to happen on April 19th, 2011.

txpilot82

Postby txpilot82 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 am

Cavebear42,

That's pretty specific! Do you work with ADS-B implementation? I've been trying to find target dates and any web search brings up outdated information. Talked to my avionics shop last week and they are pretty much in the dark. I did ask them if they've installed any ADS-B on aircraft and they haven't. We plan on doing some upgrades this winter to our aircraft and I wouldn't mind adding ADS-B if I thought I could see some benefit within a year or two.

robkrogh

Postby robkrogh » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:26 am

I was at the National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center this summer. For the sake of anyone who would like to see these items, I wanted to let everyone know where they are.

The Rogallo designs for recovery of the Gemini capsules are on display in the space hanger. The following two links will take you to the two test vehicles. The second link now has the inflated delta shaped parachute attached to it and hanging from the ceiling as I recall. My visit to the museum was my first exposure to this stuff, so I appreciated Dave bringing it up on the podcast.
http://collections.nasm.si.edu/code/emu ... 9700076000

http://collections.nasm.si.edu/code/emu ... 9750833000

This third link is to the airstream trailer that I remember Jack bringing up several episodes ago. The one that the Apollo 11 astronauts were kept in. It's on display almost directly behind the Gemini equimpent.
http://collections.nasm.si.edu/code/emu ... 9740677000

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Sorry, I was referring to the day that Skynet becomes self-aware. ;)

Return to “Episodes”