Cessna 120 140 club OFLofW

Off Field Landing of the Week
Pitts_Guy1

Cessna 120 140 club OFLofW

Postby Pitts_Guy1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 pm

Original message board(w/picture): http://www.cessna120-140.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5195

Wow, what a week...
I was in Chicago working Sat-Sat; the wx out there was so fine the first Saturday that I just had to take Lorraine up on her offer to come visit.
It was worth the hassle (no rental car so I had to take the bus)... got to meet Ken, Lorraine, and Ken's father Gene... a whole clan of real aviators, and very nice folks.

What can I say to the Morrises except THANK YOU- for sharing your home, your food, your beer, your stories, your advice... and your toys!! Laughing

Lorraine took me for a hop in ol' "Charlie", on skis yet, which was just about more fun than this boy should be allowed to have. Very Happy
Just terrific, and L. is very good company for flying. We just wandered around a bit, then came back so I could shoot four landings. I think I did pretty well.

I was working nights all week, but I decided because again, the wx was going to be great the next Saturday, to get some more 140 time... but being leery of imposing on K and L again (they seem to have plenty to do without me interrupting things), I booked the C77 flight school's 140, and went out there for a short fam flight with 120 owner and CFI Bob O'Quinn.

Although not as nice as Charlie, 27 Victor looked pretty good to me when I preflighted it, and Bob watched me preflight and got himself a good look at this plane which he knows well... somebody had it up eaerlier that day, might've been him.

I mention that it looked OK to us because something very odd happened.

We went out for some typical maneuvers: steep turns, power-off stalls, and a few induced secondary stalls. The air was cold, dry and smooth, other than a few seconds of bumps on the way out, probably from a chimney or something (we were at about 3000MSL).
I found 27V pretty easy to handle in these maneuvers and conditions, although I was a little sloppy for sure.

We decided to head back for some circuits, then after rolling out on course for the field, about 10 miles out, I asked B. to take over so I could take a photo. He suggested he "do something with the plane" for the picture, so I recommended a steep turn to the right, which he entered with smooth aplomb, at a speed well below the yellow arc.

About halfway thru the turn we heard a very loud "BANG!"and felt... something... for a millisecond.
I think we both said "What the hell was that?!?!" in unison. I've never heard anything like that in flight before.

Bob immediately rolled her upright and announced that he was having to put in an awful lot of right rudder to hold it straight and level, but it was manageable. After he nudged the plane back on course for the field, we spent several tense minutes discussing what the problem was. The consensus was that a bird had struck the tail... of course we could not see it from in the cabin, but it seemed logical. I was about to offer to take over comms when he went ahead and called a straight-in for 30. Things looked pretty good so far, so he did not use the "e" word.
It was good to see the runway ahead; a beautiful sight. We were doing OK, but I kept picturing a damaged tail, with something about to come loose with us at TPA... Bob was lucky, he had something to do to distract him. Laughing

The plane got us home for Bob to make a good landing, which is amazing, because- well, look at the picture (which shows the plane as it was immediately after we parked it)!!

We were dead wrong; the tail was fine!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

He did a terrific job dealing with the (very unusual!) mystery problem, but let's just say I think we got a break.
I obviously owe somebody out there- an ancestor, the Supreme Being, the ghost of Steve Wittman, somebody- a HUGE favor... whoever it was, many thanks!
If anyone wants to rub me or Bob for good luck, it'll cost ya five bucks.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Cessna 120 140 club OFLofW

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 pm

As someone commented in that other forum, "WOW!"

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:54 am

As someone else said in another forum that Sean cross-posted this in: "Holy Hell!"

Not necessarily an off-field landing, but very noteworthy nonetheless!
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:05 pm

-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Like I have mentioned before, I am just now getting through all the episodes, so this might be a little stale.

It was mentioned that the pilots of the 140 chose not to declare an emergency. I don't know why it is, but people seem to be real hesitant to declare emergencies. If there is any doubt whatsoever whether an emergency should be declared, GO AHEAD AND DO IT. By doing so, you get all the assistance that ATC has to offer. It is better to declare and not need it than to not declare and wish you had. And contrary to what I perceive as popular belief, there is very very seldom any consequence to declaring an emergency. I have been involved in a couple and never heard anything from it.

Also, a comment or two was made about the apparent lack of rib stitching on the section of fabric that came off of the wing. The reason for that is that the fabric winged Cessnas did not use rib stitch cord to attach the fabric. They used metal clips. If you look carefully, you can see several of those clips hanging loose on the several ribs.

Return to “OFLotW”