Young pilot lands on the beach in Queens

Off Field Landing of the Week
gmarshall

Young pilot lands on the beach in Queens

Postby gmarshall » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 am

23 year old pilot with 2 pax put his Piper down safely on a beach a couple miles from JFK.

A few media reports:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/05/nyreg ... plane.html

http://nycaviation.com/2011/04/small-pl ... ity-beach/

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/201 ... s12?hpt=T2

This story calls it a 1989 Piper. Another refers to it being a PA-28... Looks right from the pictures. :)

Sounds like a partial or complete loss of power. Kudos for getting his passengers home safely.

pack66

Re: Young pilot lands on the beach in Queens

Postby pack66 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 pm

gmarshall

Postby gmarshall » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:33 am

Erm... yeah.

I'm conditionally withdrawing my kudos for this kid.

...ok. Just listened to the tape. I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

VERY uncool.

I have to admit, after the first three radio calls I already had that sinking feeling. Obviously a pilot who doesn't take his responsabilities seriously.

Around these parts (over Ottawa in YOW's control zone), if you speak that unprofessionally to ATC on a VFR sightseeing flight you miraculously get cleared for higher altitudes than you request, and are told to wait before entering tower's airspace etc.

Landis

Postby Landis » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Yeah, not so sure about that pilot. But listening to the recording I can say how thoroughly impressed I am with the way the busy controller handled the situation.

Would be interested to find out what the real story is behind this pilot. He sounds like if he wasn't on drugs, perhaps he should have been.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Seems to me the pilot was sick too, he was suffering from a severe case of stupid! Or as was said recently on the show a blank-wit with an airplane...

I can see why the ATC persisted in talking to him, it was better to continue talking to him and know what he was up to than have a 1200 paint doing all sorts of crazy on you especially down that close to the base of controlled airspace and near the departure end of the runway. If he had of been subject to a clearance he would have been shuffled out of the controlled area pronto once he started carrying on like that! I'd put fairly good money that once he asked about the beach the supervisor was called and listening and the Police would have been notified soon after.

I've never had this sort of crazy on my frequencies before (hope I don't), I've had silly and not so smart but this is just stupid! Just yesterday an example of silly and not so smart in one, I was giving suggested vectors to a VFR to keep them out of a military control zone and with about 100 yards (I'm converting for you!) to go to the LATERAL boundary (they were pretty much ON it on the scope!) they announce "unable due weather"... sheesh, give me time to react, coordinate and clear you please! Thankfully I got a word in straight away with the Sydney Approach West controller and it was done, but they can be very busy as they control the area above the Richmond RAAF base which is also inside of the Sydney Teminal Area (or TRACON in US parlance) and covers the main departure tracks from Sydney to the North West.

Also if your gunna do something illegal you don't announce it first, and at least attempt to 'play' a mayday to account for the beach landing! What he did there is akin to calling 911 and asking if you are allowed to drive through a red light! "I'm approaching a red at the corner of 1st and Main, and I think my brakes may be a teeny weeny bit failed so I'm just gunna drive through it OK?" :roll: :roll:

gmarshall, not only do I hope they throw the book at him, I hope it smacks him fair in the head! Aviation is not something he should persue in future unless it's in the cabin of an airliner!

I only hope for the people of NYC that he's a much MUCH better paramedic than he is a pilot!
Caelus latus sursum

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:43 pm

gmarshall wrote:Around these parts (over Ottawa in YOW's control zone), if you speak that unprofessionally to ATC on a VFR sightseeing flight you miraculously get cleared for higher altitudes than you request, and are told to wait before entering tower's airspace etc.

Usually happens in down here too. If you sound like you've been there before, and wind permitting (using 13/22, not 4/31), JFK tower will clear you up to 1k in the Bravo on the South Shore route for a little more breathing room. Vice versa, climbing out of Trenton heading SW for Baltimore, I was initially cleared into the Bravo, then had a radio problem, and upon re-establishing contact found myself dumped with a quick vector east outside the Bravo.

gmarshall wrote:I'm conditionally withdrawing my kudos for this kid.

Yeah, I was much happier about the outcome before I heard the tapes.
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:23 pm

This guy gets the "off-field idiot of the week" award in my book.

He didn't just decide to land on a beach in NYC, he was trying to do the Jim Tweto thing where he initially touches his tundra tires down on the water of a river next to a sand bar in a fresh water river in Alaska then rolls up onto the sand bar. This guy tried to touch down on the ocean and then roll up onto the beach.

There is a picture of this warrior sitting in the salt water waves. This is so stupid on so many levels, I don't know where to start.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/DC--119339009.html

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Oh dear, salt water... thats a waste of a perfectly good PA28!
Caelus latus sursum

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am

Think about that plane the next time you buy used airframe parts from a salvage company.
Or a "good deal" on a used plane repaired after it got bent.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “OFLotW”