Pilot safely lands in field outside of Challis Idaho

Off Field Landing of the Week
IdahoMike

Pilot safely lands in field outside of Challis Idaho

Postby IdahoMike » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 pm

You should read the article, because it is nicely covered by the Challis Messenger with none of the usual cliche screwups. In fact, it is a pretty down home read.

http://www.challismessenger.com/index.p ... 1-20110728

This was in my neighborhood and I fly over this place all the time. Thinking about an engine konking out in this terrain gives me the giblies. The route between Hamilton, MT and Challis is on the Eastern edge of some pretty remote and rugged wilderness and the terrain is extremely unforgiving. On a sectional chart, look for the mine symbol due North of the MEA 12,200 marker near Stanley, ID (2U7). That is the Thomas Creek mine where the pilot apparently had the engine seize. There is nothing but ridges, peaks, and canyons in that particular area. I am impressed he glided safely to the Salmon River canyon and was able to follow it downstream to where it opened up into the farm lands. Very impressive.

GoogleEarth Thomas Creek Molybdenum Mine if you want to see what the terrain is like.

A dead stick in a place that isn't very forgiving - makes me think it is time to get some glider training.

Mike Hart (a.k.a Mike Stuew)

Scofreyjet

Re: Pilot safely lands in field outside of Challis Idaho

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Mike, you're right - a well-written article with no hyperbole or display of ignorance. And boy, is that scary looking territory to a sea-level flatlander!

FYI, It's "Thompson" Creek, not "Thomas". Had me going there for a minute. Here's a link to the area in Google Maps. Pit mine near the left side, and the river running to the right where the agricultural areas start.

Lots of skill and a wee bit of luck on this OFLOTW!

Thanks for posting it. -Jeff-

champguy

Re: Pilot safely lands in field outside of Challis Idaho

Postby champguy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:12 pm

And keep your insurance paid up.
Remember, you have to walk away to collect.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “OFLotW”