This has to be the off-field landing of the month, at least.

Off Field Landing of the Week
NeedaMooney

This has to be the off-field landing of the month, at least.

Postby NeedaMooney » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:11 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/15/new.york.plane.crash/index.html

A US Airways plane took off from New York - LaGuardia bound for Charlotte when a flock of geese decided to leave at approximately the same time. Both engines were destroyed by ingesting geese. The pilots successfully ditched the Airbus on the Hudson River. They perfectly executed the belly landing in the water; so good that the integrity of the pressure vessel was not compromised, and the plane stayed afloat. All 150+ people on board survived.

Edit for a much closer picture that's apparently making the rounds:

randyc

Re: This has to be the off-field landing of the month, at least.

Postby randyc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:48 pm

This one is historic! Wonder how long before the first lawsuit and the first "made for TV movie"?

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:26 pm

From the New York Times, America's newspaper:
7:20 p.m. | More news on the pilot: Though officials have not released his name, the pilot is now at the New York Waterways terminal talking to federal investigators. He is described as a male white, 5-11 to 6 foot, reed thin, with a white mustache, close cropped white hair and a tan complexion. He is wearing a captain’s suit.

A captain's suit?

And I suppose that all our brave men and women overseas are wearing soldier suits.

With very few exceptions, heroes don't wear suits.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Brrr.... I just got off of the phone with my sister who lives there. She said that it was 10 degree (out of the water).

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:31 am

UCAP Gang,

Yes, this is my vote for Off-field Landing of 2009! What's more, this was an excellent example of the right pilot being in the right place at the right time. The captain is one who fully embraces the principles of CRM and human factors in aviation safety. In fact, he has a side business which provides consulting services for industries which could benefit by applying aviation safety principles to their operations to minimize mistakes and reduce risk. The following from an online news source:

"Meet Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, III, the US Airways pilot who today amazingly landed a jet in New York's Hudson River without any apparent fatalities. The heroic Sullenberger, 57, has worked for US Airways since 1980, and before that spent more than six years as a U.S. Air Force F-4 fighter pilot. Sullenberger is the founder of Safety Reliability Methods. The firm describes itself as providing "technical expertise and strategic vision and direction to improve safety and reliability in a variety of high risk industries."

Of course, being in the right place didn't hurt. The large amount of ferry traffic on the Hudson was at the scene within minutes, which is critical when it is below freezing outside!

As always, fly safely!

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:59 am

cozy171bh wrote: this is my vote for Off-field Landing of 2009!

Off field landing of the month for sure but, 2009 is still young.

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:43 am

This marks the 2nd complete hull loss of a big commercial passenger jet in the USA with no fatalities in a month or so.

It is a big achievement, one that has roots in the past, with careful studies of many more accidents in which things did not go as nicely, unfortunately. We are lucky things went this way, and we should work even harder to make sure that even GA will be able to have such high standards of safety in the future, starting from today.

Kudos to the all the crew, those in the front and those in the back. And once again passengers will be reminded that listening to that 2 minutes safety procedures demonstration does not hurt...

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

pilot_ngb

Postby pilot_ngb » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:05 am

Plug in 15:25 15th January into the airport number. It's gives a reasonable impression of how quickly is started going wrong.

http://www4.passur.com/lga.html

Looks like a helicopter had to move out of the way.

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:14 am

You can also see the path on FlightAware:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE1 ... /KLGA/KLGA

The tracklog shows a maximum altitude of 3200':

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE1 ... A/tracklog

Let's see if any recording of the air-to-ground comms will pop up on the net...

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:05 pm

OK, fellow aviators, here's the bio of the A320 captain in command of this flight:

http://safetyreliability.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Sullenberger_Profile.317143407.doc

On the side, he is part of a company called Safety Reliability Methods http://www.safetyreliability.com/

The kind of captain I want on the flight deck every time my travels require the services of a human mailing tube...

FWIW...

Dave

Return to “OFLotW”