London Ontario's Katana Cafe

Tell us about the places you've enjoyed.
Punky

London Ontario's Katana Cafe

Postby Punky » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:31 am

London Ontario is not far across the US border from the Buffalo/Niagara region.
It was by chance that I stumbled onto it late last night.
I flew a few friends over to London to show them what a "$100 hamburger" is like. With a name like Katana Cafe and Grill, I was expected a burger/sandwich joint. Wow. Was I wrong.

It's right on the tarmac of London's international airport (it's really not as intimidating as it sounds I assure you), in fact I parked the plane literally feet from the door. It's well let and at a glance does have that cafe feel to it until you get in and sit down and soak up the place. It's much more refined than that. The menu is two pages, one for starts, one for entrees . It sounds limiting but I don't think we've ever spent so much time trying to pick what to order, only because everything sounded perfect and fantastic. They had lamb, bison, pork tenderloin, chicken, filet and seafood. We all ordered something different (I had the bison) and we all practically licked out plates. We also started with a really unique and great shrimp/seafood salad.

Evening menu prices ranged somewhere from $22-$30 for the entrees... but it felt like we were getting gourmet food at discount prices.

I can't recommend this place enough. I consider Americans to be "family" to us Canadians, so I hope you'll hop in your plane and head on up for a quick flight across the border. Customs is available at London, and there's an FBO about 30 feet from the Katana Cafe so it's a one stop shop.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: London Ontario's Katana Cafe

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Punky wrote: I consider Americans to be "family" to us Canadians.

Cheers to that!

Punky

Postby Punky » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:47 am

:-)
I must confess.

The whole 9-11 / theorist thing was a bit of an embarrassment for me (speaking as a Canadian).
I was sickened when Canada wouldn't stand up with the US and voice some support and understanding.
In hindsight - hell... Let's say for the sake of argument that Canada not going into Iraq was indeed the proper decision (there's a ton of arguments on both sides which I won't get into here)... I thought at the very least our Prime Minister at the time should have had some supporting words at the very least to offer our US family and friends... if for nothing else than to offer some political currency.

I mean lets face it, the Canadian Military isn't anything to write home about - in that respect we can't offer much of anything anyhow - beyond being a presence in Pakistan (which I like to think helps the USA to some degree), but I like to think that Canada does have a little respect on the global political stage... but sometimes you just need to stick together on the political front if for nothing else.

Let's say I'm in the school yard and I see my brother getting into a fight (I only have a sister but you get the point), and let's say my brother was absolutely wrong and was picking the fight. I wouldn't jump in to help pummel the other guy, but I would stand by to make sure that, even though my brother was in the wrong, I've got his back if things do go bad for him (let's assume his my BIG BIG brother and I didn't have the power or the clout to persuade him to stop to begin with). I'd stand by him and support him (I don't even have to say that I wouldn't jump to the other side to fight against him) if things got dangerous for him. More to the point, I wouldn't turn my back without saying a word (or worse - say something disparagingly) and walk away and leave him to whatever fate awaits him.

Which is what I think our Prime Minister did. In a black and white world and within a narrow scope, not getting into Iraq was the right thing for Canada to do... but when you put it into the context of leaving our US family and friends standing alone in that school yard... that's just not right and doesn't make things so black and white. Loyalty and honesty are huge motivators for me.

If it were up to me I would have said something like "Going into Iraq with our US friends and family isn't right for Canada. Putting all other arguments aside, we think Sadam has brought this on himself with his refusal to cooperate with the UN and their inspectors. We completely understand and sympathize with our US friends and their position but Canadian Military resources are not substantiative enough to be in both Iraq and Pakistan in a peace keeping capacity. We want the world to be aware, we hold loyalty to our closest ally, and our honest approach to peace keeping on the global stage of equal importance. We understand their decision to enter into a conflict with Iraq, and we hope that we can be of service on other matters as the need arise. We remain, as always, their loyal and sincere friends, and will defend them on all political fronts."

I suspect some people make agree with what I've written, while some things may rub some people in a bad way. I hope it can be seen in the context it was meant to be received.

Dave

AnthonyNalli

Postby AnthonyNalli » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Back to the Katana Cafe, I'm SOOO glad to see it listed here. This place has become one of my favorite restaurants. The food is gourmet quality and having to fly-in is a nifty bonus. Absolutely everything they serve is top notch whether you're in the mood for meat, seafood, or pasta. I recommend the creme brulee for desert.

Anthony
Read Close Calls online monthly at http://CloseCalls.PCAS.ca

Punky

Postby Punky » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Is this the Anthony at Brampton?

AnthonyNalli

Postby AnthonyNalli » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Sure is! :-) Hi Dave!
Read Close Calls online monthly at http://CloseCalls.PCAS.ca

Punky

Postby Punky » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Small world Anthony!
;-)
I've been posting here for a while, nice to see a fellow Canadian (and a fellow Brampton flyer at that!) here too.

Return to “Airport Restaurants”