KACK Nanctucket Crosswinds

Tell us about the places you've enjoyed.
justAgirlPilot

KACK Nanctucket Crosswinds

Postby justAgirlPilot » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Check out Crosswinds on the field at Nantucket Memorial--KACK. Relaxed atmosphere, great clam chowder. May want to avoid holiday weekends as they say it gets crazy busy and the ramp stacks up even a day before.

Andrew B

Re: KACK Nanctucket Crosswinds

Postby Andrew B » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:51 am

Sounds like a good get! Im thinking about about using ACK as a destination on my solo cross-country, will have to remember Crosswinds. --Andrew
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm no CFI so what do I know, but, does it make sense for a solo cross-country to be out across a big chunk of open water like that? Introduces the possibility that the flight might present one lesson too many. ?

// Jack

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:19 pm

You got me there Jack......
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

turbo

Postby turbo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:53 pm

it might depend where you are starting from in that area. if i was leaving ptown then nantucket would be a nice xc destination. most of the great flying is over water to the islands when the wx is good like this weekend except the pres was hogging the airspace. heard 3 transmissions on 121.5 calling planes going into that area. not good. jack, i think i flew over dover on the way to bowman field maine flyin today. great day for flying. Image
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:04 pm

Well Im out of GHG which is Marshfield Municipal. I would go from Marshfield to Ptown over water, then south to Chatham and then along the beaches south of Chatham which would put me with a jump over a bit of water to get to Nantucket but with the altitude I dont think its too bad of an idea. I fly to Ptown routinely from GHG and its no big deal as long as your at about 3500 - 4000ft. With that altitude it gives you the ability to from the middle, glide to both sides without and engine.

Im open for suggestions about good XC spots that have a restaurants in Ma, I think I am a sucker for a $100 hamburger :D
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:06 pm

P.S. turbo,

Your right, today was a bueatiful day for some flyin'. Completed my first solo to the practice area today, what a blast.
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

rcigliano

Postby rcigliano » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm

I flew to KACK a couple of weeks ago and avoided long times over water by flying along the north fork of Long Island and then hugging the Connecticut and RI coast line.

KHWV-KACK.JPG
KHWV-KACK.JPG (80.31 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
Rob
Private Pilot SEL
FRG
Tecnam Eaglet

@RobertCigliano on Twitter
The New Pilot PodBlog Podcast
@NewPilotPodBlog on Twitter
http://thenewpilotpodblog.com

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Very cool! Yet to get to that airport but it is certianly on my list. Also want to get down to the vineyard MVY soon too. They have a great restaurant at MVY called Plane View. All the meals are named after aircraft or aviation nobles. Very cool airport with great T-shirts! :D
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

turbo

Postby turbo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:00 am

one of the highlights of ACK is renting a jeep from the airport and driving on the beach and sand dunes. we had everyone take turns driving and the ladies did a amazing job. see u there.Image
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

Return to “Airport Restaurants”