Tell us about the places you've enjoyed.
Afterburner Al

Postby Afterburner Al » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:42 am

Lo those 18.5 years ago when I was a 16 year-old neophyte student pilot I ate at The JET Room in the original stone terminal at Truax Field (KMSN) Madison, WI. That old terminal at that point housed Four Lakes Aviation one of two FBOs on the field. (The fancy new airline terminal was on the west side of the airport)

A year later it was the summer of 1991 and I had started instrument training...but I needed money to pay for it so I took a job as a dishwasher at The JET Room. The restaurant was located in the back portion of the FBO overlooking the lobby from its raised perch (about 4 feet). It had large windows so that diners could view the action outside. The free standing tables were near the bay windows and a classic counter stretched the length of the restaurant to divide eaters from providers. My job was mostly washing dishes, busing tables and making 7-layer salad. When things got busy I was pressed into cooking as well.

At that time it was run by two women in their late 40's early 50s and they loved country I can tell you that Conway Twitty's "Girl I'd Love to Lay You down" was hot in the summer of 1991. Aside from Hot was hot back in the back room...but being an employee earned me a discount on aircraft rental.

I went off to college that fall and the JET Room had new proprietors in the years to come...and when the old terminal was torn down for a spanking new building the Jet Room got an upgrade and is still a good a popular place to eat.

Re: The JET Room KMSN

Postby WiredforFlight » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Was there a few weeks ago, only open for breakfast and lunch (both are great) & it is hopping all the time they are open. Very friendly staff, great food, wonderful view of the airport. Well worth the stop if you are in the Madison area.

Re: The JET Room KMSN

Postby cherokeeflyer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:57 pm

The Jet Room is one of my favorites....great food, great view, shame about Fox News on TV.
real pilots learn to fly in a Cessna and then buy a Piper Cherokee.

Return to “Airport Restaurants”