Block Island

Tell us about the places you've enjoyed.
ebrendan

Block Island

Postby ebrendan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:10 pm

After getting my ticket on Saturday, my dad & I flew from Farmingdale NY (KFRG) to Block Island RI (KBID) on Monday and had lunch at Bethany's Airport Diner (401-466-310). Parking fees are waived if you're eating there.

Going to Block Island in the middle of winter may seem strange, but the 900 year-round residents keep Bethany's and a few other places open and you don't have flight for parking as I imagine you will have to come the summer season. Block Island is a very cool place any time of year and we had a fantastic flight.

- Brendan... Now a pilot.
Brendan Reynolds
Pilot, KFRG Farmingdale NY

t0r0nad0

Re: Block Island

Postby t0r0nad0 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:17 pm

Hey, Bravo Zulu on earning the ticket, and what a great way to get it wet! Sounds like a great way to spend the day and introduce your dad to your new credentials!
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:34 am

Congratulations Brendan and welcome to the club! I'm sure that Dad is proud, too.

I'd have to check my logbook to be positive but, I'm pretty sure that Block Island was also my first flight as a newly minted private pilot with passengers: one internal and one external. I took my wife from Danbury, Connecticut to Block Island. She was pregnant with my first daughter at the time. When I turned out toward the sea at Point Judith, Rhode Island she puked. I'm not sure if it was a statement of my superior flying skills or the fact that she was pregnant or freaked out about heading out over the water or some or all of the above.

Block Island turned out to be one of our favorite destinations because we could fly down to the beach for the day. Spend a whole day there then be back in the evening and sleep in our own beds at night. That's a real benefit with little kids.

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Brendan:

Congratulations on earning your ticket! KBID was not the very first place I flew after getting my ticket, but I'll bet it was in the first 10. There's something about locations that are difficult for the "land-bound" masses to get to that make them especially attractive!! Not to mention the food is great at Bethany's. The blueberry pancakes I ate put me over W&B and I didn't take on fuel!! :D

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:I took my wife from Danbury, Connecticut to Block Island. She was pregnant with my first daughter at the time. When I turned out toward the sea at Point Judith, Rhode Island she puked. I'm not sure if it was a statement of my superior flying skills or the fact that she was pregnant or freaked out about heading out over the water or some or all of the above.

UPDATE: It's me. I took her flying this weekend. Granted it is summer in Texas (HOT HOT HOT) and it was really bumpy from all of the thermal activity and she had just eaten some barbeque for lunch but, I got her to hurl again. I can get her to spew anywhere in the US.

turbo

Postby turbo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:43 pm

ImageImageImage
thought i would post these pics of block i had. wonderful place to be on a hot NE day.
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Brendan, congrats on your license!
I was born in Rhode Island and remember Block Island well.
I only ever got to get there via ferry.
Don't fly with an empty seat! Save a save life with Canine Rescue Flights

Proudly supporting LiveATC.net, uploading for St. Petersburg - Clearwater (KPIE). Click to Listen

cphillips103

Postby cphillips103 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm

I went to Block Island last summer while working on my IFR ticket. Nice place. I hope to visit again this year.

Return to “Airport Restaurants”