Episode #256 "16-Bit Podcast"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Scofreyjet

Episode #256 "16-Bit Podcast"

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:26 pm

I'm partway through episode 256, and researching the petitions issue for the shownotes.

For what it's worth, the email from Craig Fuller supporting an AOPA PAC petition is aimed at influencing Congress. ​ This makes a lot of sense, since the AOPA PAC focuses significantly on the GA Caucus. Another difference is that this is not an open-to-the-public petition. It is specifically for AOPA members, and the link takes you to a members-only area of the AOPA site.

Kevin Mossey's "grass roots" petition" on the White House site is open to everyone (willing to create a Whitehouse.gov account) and is clearly aimed at the White House and executive branch policy folks.

Also, if you Google "petition whitehouse user fees fuller" you'll find numerous instances of Craig Fuller strongly supporting Kevin Mossey's petition and urging all to sign it. I honestly think they were two independent efforts that happened to come out at nearly the same time in response to the same threat.

If Fuller and AOPA had wanted to steer people towards the AOPA petition that they surely knew would be coming out in a few days, they wouldn't have spent so much PR bandwidth promoting Mossey's effort. My opinion of course.

Jeff
Last edited by Scofreyjet on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

terry.mortimore

Re: Episode #256 "16-Bit Podcast"

Postby terry.mortimore » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Did someone catch the link to the series of photo's of the Galloping Ghost?

I don't see it on the show notes?

Thanks, Terry.

Landis

Postby Landis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:11 am

Scofreyjet wrote:If Fuller and AOPA had wanted to steer people towards the AOPA petition that they surely knew would be coming out in a few days, they wouldn't have spent so much PR bandwidth on Mossey's effort. My opinion of course.

Love the podcast guys, but I gotta ask: What's with the borderline animosity towards AOPA? Sure I (and you) may not agree with everything they do, but we're on the same side.

I first heard about Kevin's petition from an AOPA post on Facebook on 9/26. I signed up for a Whitehouse.gov account and signed it immediately. A day later AOPA posted again saying that it was over 5,000 sigs already and growing. They posted it on their Facebook feed at least 3 times. I think it's unfair to say that they're merely trying to do the same thing as someone else and doing it only to gain members or "sell magazines".

Keep up the good work, but please consider giving AOPA a little more benefit of the doubt.

-Landis

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 pm

The links to the Galloping Ghost photo galleries have been added to the shownotes. I'm lagging a little behind (not unusual :oops: ) and have a tight schedule this week, but I'll get the rest of the notes and links up as quickly as I can.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Jeff,

Thank you for digging into this thing. I think we're gonna have to revisit it, and maybe do some 'splainin.

// Jack

jackasam

Postby jackasam » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Hello!
To answer Jack's question in the episode, there is an airport very, very close to the base of Everest called Lukla airport. Here is a video of one of the most extreme airports in the world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37NX0

msawhill

Tapping altimeters

Postby msawhill » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm

Jack, give yourself a pat on the back: you were spot on with your suggestion that the Taylorcraft pilot mentioned in Episode #256 was tapping his altimeter to shake out the friction in his altimeter. Engineers call this friction "hysteresis plus deadband", but pilots of old gliders (old glider pilots?) call it "necessity" on weak soaring days while struggling to accurately gauge altitude gain in weak lift. Absent the constant vibration of an engine, mechanical instruments tend to stick-and-move rather than sweeping along smoothly. Tapping just helps things along a bit.

Ironically, I've done similar flights in my Cessna 140 and I always enjoy seeing the reaction on power pilots' faces when they hear it's possible. (Don't try this at home - I'm a glider pilot at heart, so I'm proficient at dead stick landings and know how to exploit soaring weather conditions.) While I've witnessed Piper Pawnee towplanes soaring dead stick at over 20,000' (tired Lyc 540s won't even run at that altitude), my personal favorite account of dead stick climbing comes from the fascinating 1950's study of the upper atmosphere called "The Sierra Wave Project", in which a surplus P-38 Lightning climbed to over 30,000 feet with both engines caged.

Next subject: I think everybody should learn to fly a taildragger at some point in their flying career, but I caution listeners (and podcasters) against taking it too casually. If you flew taildraggers 20 years ago, logbook endorsement or not, I wouldn't recommend assuming you could hop into one today and operate it proficiently. I have over 600 ground loop-free tailwheel hours, but I'm constantly vigilant and strive to maintain year-round proficiency in all conditions. If I went even a year without flying a taildragger, I'd swallow my pride, happily and openly admit to not being tailwheel proficient, and enlist the help of an instructor. Let's all "eat our own dog food" and practice the same modesty we expect of other pilots.

Keep up the stellar work!

M

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 pm

Those who have, and those who will.
I have close to a thousand hours in taildraggers. Haven't damaged one yet, but I have been off the runway. Not an experience you forget.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Laminar

Re: Tapping altimeters

Postby Laminar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

msawhill wrote:Absent the constant vibration of an engine, mechanical instruments tend to stick-and-move rather than sweeping along smoothly. Tapping just helps things along a bit.

I concur. It's completely normal for altimeters to stick in a vibration-free environment. At my club, we tell the students to tap on the panel (not the glass) as part of the pre-landing checklist. Then we tell them to judge the approach visually, without referring to the altimeter.

-Rick

Return to “Episodes”