A Flight Safety Issue?

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
RigaRunner

A Flight Safety Issue?

Postby RigaRunner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:08 pm

The GAO has just released a report that is highly critical of the Department of Homeland Security for the way they manage certification and inspection of flight schools. GAO says the DHS Student Exchange and Visitor Program (SEVP) lacks processes to identify risk and prevent fraud, and does not have proper controls to verify the legitimacy of schools that accept international students.

http://gao.gov/assets/600/591668.pdf

Personally, I think that America should promote itself as the world's premier training ground for pilots from all over the world. We held that position for many years until 2001. It is a role that generates a lot of economic activity for the U.S., makes friends for us globally, and preserves American leadership in aviation.

We should not allow DHS to make it too difficult or needlessly expensive for legitimate student pilots from other countries to come here and earn their wings.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

ARFlyer

Re: A Flight Safety Issue?

Postby ARFlyer » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:08 pm

I have foreign friends who have flight trained here and they say the TSA thing is a joke. You send in your paperwork and some money and they send back a "you can train" pre-printed letter.

sballmer

Postby sballmer » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

ARFlyer wrote:I have foreign friends who have flight trained here and they say the TSA thing is a joke. You send in your paperwork and some money and they send back a "you can train" pre-printed letter.

Yep, and if you go for the instrument rating, they acknowledge that they know you by skipping the finger prints. But they still want money.

Is it a joke? Well, just as an example, I will need TSA approval before I can provide flight training for my own son... I hope the US will get past this paranoia some day, but I am afraid the GAO report will push the TSA in the wrong direction.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:57 pm

sballmer wrote:I will need TSA approval before I can provide flight training for my own son...

Slowly shaking my head, sadly.

// Jack

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Bureaucracies have a tendancy to grow, until they collapse. Sounds like a good thing, but it will be ugly.
Best thing to do is enjoy the joke.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Listener Mail”