The little yellow aeroplane

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
Biggles71

The little yellow aeroplane

Postby Biggles71 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 am

As an A380 captain, I find myself going back to grassroots aviation more and more and I'm presently looking into buying a Piper Cub.
Years ago, somebody told me an aviation story, which I can't find anymore. Earlier today, I rewrote it in my own words. Except for the Space Shuttle part, I've lived through all of them. So believe me, this is real! Enjoy:

A pilot is taking his Piper Cub for a flight around the pattern on a lazy afternoon. He is number two behind a Beechcraft King-Air taking off ahead of him and thinks to himself; “Would it not be cool to fly a 10 seat twin engine turbo prop like this?”
A little bit later the King-Air cruises at 29000 feet and the pilot starts day dreaming. A twin engine passenger jet is overtaking him at 35000 feet. It is a Boeing 737 cruising at Mach 0.78. He thinks to himself, “one day I want to fly a passenger jet like this!”
Shortly after that, the Boeing captain hears an Airbus A380 checking in on the frequency at 41000 feet, flying Mach 0.85. “One day I want to move on to a wide-body aircraft like this" he says to his first-officer.
As the A380 is cruising along the Florida coastline, ATC advises that a Space Shuttle is about to be launched of the left hand side. “Wow the A380 captain says. If ever I could become an astronaut!”
Once the Space Shuttle is in orbit, they look down on Earth and see the little Piper Cub. “If only I could fly that little Piper Cub. That would be so cool the commander thinks to himself”.

A link to my blogpost with images about the subject can be found here:
http://bjornmoerman.blogspot.ae/2014/07/pick-of-week-30-little-yellow-aeroplane.html

Fly safe,
BJORN
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

champguy

Re: The little yellow aeroplane

Postby champguy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 am

Well said.
Each year I get to see so much beautiful country between Oregon and Oshkosh, so many small towns with friendly helpful folks at the airport. Flying is so much more than just getting there.
If the creek don't rise, or the GPS fail, see you all next week at the big show.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Biggles71

Postby Biggles71 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:15 am

Champguy, unfortunately I have to fly the big bird for work during Airventure. Working on next years Oshkosh already!
Enjoy
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Boggles ,

Good story. Thanks for restoring (?) it.

// Jack

Return to “Other Topics”