L-3 Lynx ADS-B NGT-9000 transponder PIREP

Tell us about the things in your panels and flight bags.
C5Guy

L-3 Lynx ADS-B NGT-9000 transponder PIREP

Postby C5Guy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:57 pm

I started searching for an ADS-B out solution for my Cessna Cardinal about a year ago. I reached out to Jeb and he was kind enough to share his thoughts on the L-3 Lynx transponder, which he had recently installed in his Deb. When the FAA announced they were giving a $500 rebate for the first 20,000 ADS-B installations, I decided now was the time to upgrade.

I do not have a WAAS GPS in my Cardinal, so I opted to replace my ancient Narco AT 150 transponder with a stand-alone all-in-one solution. The top two contenders for me were the Garmin 345 and the L-3 Lynx NGT-9000. The Stratus ESG was cheaper than the other two, but required an additional, separate Stratus receiver. Plus there was the additional labor cost to remotely mount the Stratus (I don't want wires all over the cockpit). I opted for the Lynx primarily because of the touchscreen interface and the ability for it to display traffic (I don't have any other glass in my panel). Also, the interface allows for future upgrades/features to the software, something a fixed, push-button interface can't accomplish to the same degree.

The installation involved shuffling around some avionics, removing an old ADF from the panel (I will miss listening to the AM radio), and removing the old ADF antenna on the belly and fabricating and painting a plate to cover the resulting hole. The labor was 24 hours. The WAAS antenna for the Lynx was installed on top of the cabin, midway between the wings. The audio output from the Lynx (traffic callouts) was wired into the now vacant "ADF" switch on my PS-8000B comm panel, giving me the ability to switch the audio on and off via the ADF button. This genius and practical solution was suggested by my avionics shop.

The Lynx works as advertised. The display is bright and the touchscreen is manageable, even in moderate turbulence. The Lynx communicates flawlessly via wifi with ForeFlight on my iPad. After 10 hours of flying behind the Lynx, I have yet to have the wifi drop off, which was common with my home built Stratux ADS-B receiver.

Re: Verification flight for the $500 FAA rebate. I didn't believe two separate flights (on the same Zulu day) could be combined to meet the requirement for 30 minutes in rule airspace, so I didn't even try to meet the verification requirements on my flights home. My two flights home from the avionics shop resulted in 29 total minutes in rule airspace (Philly and NYC Class B) and no maneuvering, except for a pattern and landing below the 30 DME Mode C Ring of the New York Class B into my home airport.

I was expecting a "fail" when I logged into the FAA rebate site that evening. The FAA site confirmed my failure was due to lack of time in rule airspace (I was one minute short), but stated a repeat flight may not be required, pending review of my data by a human. The next day, I received confirmation the FAA had reviewed and excepted my data, and despite the flight time shortfall (and lack of maneuvering) my ADS-B installation passed. I received my $500 rebate check two weeks later. I am pleasantly surprised the FAA rebate process went so smoothly.

I am thrilled with my Lynx. A couple of local pilots who have seen my installation in action, but had already opted for non-Lynx installations (which were a few hundred $ less), were impressed and stated they wish they had gone with the Lynx...

Blue skies,

J.D.

Sven

Re: L-3 Lynx ADS-B NGT-9000 transponder PIREP

Postby Sven » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 pm

Great PIREP. We just installed an Appareo and now I'm wondering about the traffic callout option on our com unit. I'll be looking into that.

Thanks,
Sven
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: L-3 Lynx ADS-B NGT-9000 transponder PIREP

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks for the report. I too thought the L3 was pretty cool.

// Jack

Return to “Flight Gear”