Liability

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
Brad R

Liability

Postby Brad R » Thu May 08, 2008 6:09 pm

Hello!

I have been a UCAP listener since nearly the beginning, but I am just now visiting the forums! I enjoy the podcast a great deal.

I am a teacher, and have taken a few students for flights. About a year ago, a substitute teacher at a nearby school took a student on a flight and crashed (they were both killed). http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070420X00442&key=1 It seems that the classes were studying physics & aerodynamics. He had taken several students for flights. The NTSB has not released the final report, but my guess is that he was showing her stalls and spun it.

After that accident, my principal came to me and told me that I could no longer take students flying! I know that AOPA has a suggested release form. Does anyone have or use a release form?

Brad

Dave Higdon

Re: Liability

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu May 08, 2008 6:17 pm

Only times in my experience that liability releases have come into play were (a) when I gave Young Eagles flights, and the EAA volunteers took care of those; and when flying a demo aircraft for an article...

Conversely, I've always carried at least $1 million in liability insurance...and had $2 mill when last we had an aircraft...

And had an employer that insisted that I not fly myself on assignments..."We only allow pro-fess-on-als to fly on company business...liability, you know..."

Well, my boss taught me how to beat the restriction...so...<g>...

But you're talking about a very specific situation, where you're taking students in your charge...surprised that the school system allowed to begin with -- probably didn't have a policy because it never came up...

Now...if you seriously want to expose students to aviation for educational purposes, consider contacting a flight school and working with the school on something with some of those "pro-fess-on-als"...or...contact your local EAA chapter about a class-wide Young Eagles day...our Chapter 88 does it with some regularity, working with teachers to close the loops on permission slips and the like...the EAA folks will love it and so will your students.

Dave

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri May 09, 2008 10:05 am

Dave Higdon wrote:Well, my boss taught me how to beat the restriction...so...<g>...

Dave -- Can you share?

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun May 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Well, Bill, can share, though I'm not sure what my old boss told me will be salient to anyone else's situation.

But he told me to fly on personal time -- maybe take a comp day to travel -- and then expense only the driving allowance, which was miles driven times the company's per-mile reimbursement...and keep my mouth shut about it. For a lot of trips that involved driving two to four hours, spending part of a day and driving back, I had to be careful to stay out of sight when I was leaving later than a drive required or got back faster than possible by car :? ...

Almost got caught once because I ran a grocery errand and one of my newsroom bosses "thought" she say me "driving out of the store lot when I was supposed to be" somewhere else...plead that it musta been somebody else...and she conceded that she didn't really see my face...but pretty sure she didn't believe me.

On longer trips -- well, had flown myself instead of going by airline twice before I knew <ahem ;) > that I was violating company policy...that's my story...

...and I'm stickin' to it...

Dave

Return to “Listener Mail”