North Little Rock Airport Destruction

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
svmelb

North Little Rock Airport Destruction

Postby svmelb » Mon May 12, 2008 3:47 am

I heard you guys talking on episode #80 about the tornado destruction at North Little Rock Airport in AR. Sadly, one of the many aircraft destroyed that day was one that I used to be a part owner of in the early 90's.

http://myaviation.net/?pid=01060410

1972 Cessna 172L, reg. N4223Q (c/n 17260123) was found on the ramp upside down and in several peices.

A great old plane in which I did my PPL and instrument rating. Fitted with Macauly cruise prop, leather interior, full IFR including scormscope and LORAN (yeah, it was a while ago!) It flew really smooth. A really sad end.

Sitting here in Melbourne, Australia and hearing the news was almost like hearing of a death in the family. My sympathies to all the owners at NLR who lost aircraft that day.

Dave Higdon

Re: North Little Rock Airport Destruction

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue May 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Nice that you remember the plane and the experience -- and can understand...would feel the same learning that one of my old birds had suffered such a fate; felt bad enough just selling the last one...

Nice not, friend...

Dave

svmelb

Re: North Little Rock Airport Destruction

Postby svmelb » Tue May 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Yeah. I did over 400 hours of flight time in that bird....I owe it a lot!

When I came over to the US last year, I hadn't seen the airplane for 16 years, so I'm glad that I found it and snapped a couple of shots. My old friend and flying instructor emailed me last month with the sad news. I know the current owner and I'm sure he'd be devastated. He traded in a beautiful old V tail Bonanza to buy the Cessna...thats how nice an airplane it was.

Return to “Listener Mail”