Electronic Charting *update*

Mail and other feedback from listeners.
PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Electronic Charting *update*

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:25 pm

Perhaps I omitted something ......I'm not letting go of the paper just yet.

This is good. Some guys seem to act like crack addicts the way that they are attached to their GPS systems. The more the GPS does, the worse they are attached.

Note to self: BUY Garmin stock.

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 am

....WELL.... Alrighty then.

I am not going to get into the debate of what is better, and why or why not to use paper or a G1000 or a tablet.

I started this thread to share my findings of several devices and how they worked for me. I thought passing it along might help a pilot or two out there, and I will continue to do so. This is not about what is better, I have had just as many mishaps with paper as I have with a tablet. In the end that is why I have BOTH ready to go anytime during my flight and before I set up for the approach.

anyway....

PilotBill: This is good. Some guys seem to act like crack addicts the way that they are attached to their GPS systems. The more the GPS does, the worse they are attached.

I do agree. GPS and Glass cockpits are hard to revert from. My mindset is simple - If it is available to you, whether electronic charts, glass cockpit, or gps, why not get it and use it? Take it to the extreme and this is why Gulfstream has EVS, PlaneView, and BBML (for passengers). Aviation offers fabulous technology to get us home safe, make the trip enjoyable, and weather just a tad less intimidating with proper discretion.

It is also the reason why the computer you are typing and reading on right now is not from 1980, and the car you drive most likely has OBD.

The more redundancy you have along with situational awareness makes you, your passengers, and family a whole lot safer.

So now back to the reviews of some chart options that work......

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:10 am

Well, I'm not an IR pilot, so I haven't used the electronic charts in the air yet, but I'll probably try it sometime when I'm flying with my IR mentor. The hack for the iPod Touch worked great, and I look forward to viewing charts on there. I also have an eBook Reader from Sony, which, while black and white, has a large screen and can display pdf files in an easy-to-read format.
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:46 pm

Hey Tornado! Nice to see you again. Yea give it a try sometime when you are shooting approaches and see how the "flow" goes. For me the iPod and tablet work great, never had a hitch and always have every chart pulled up and ready to go.

also, I ordered a kindle from Amazon, so we will see how that goes down !

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:05 pm

Yeah, I look forward to trying it... thanks for the help! I love all the apps that are now available to me!
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:55 am

the other thing, is in my personal airplane, (a Short body Mooney) there is so little extra space, if it isn't built in to the panel, It find it too cumbersome.

In my work airplane (various Lears) I try to keep the front as clutter free as I can, if we had Glass with anoverlay, sure, But we don't so the same rules apply.

If it works for you have at it. it is hard for new pilots to keep from getting gadget excitement, but when it hits the fan, and it will, all that stuff will get tossed into the back seat. and you will do what you can to not bend the airplane. So I just choose not to spend time on the newest and latest or reinventing the wheel.

Some folks are into it I am not. it is that simple.,
Sum Ergo Cogito —

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 pm

bump for Jeb :-)

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Does anyone know of a link to download the entire NOS (well now called NACO used to be NOS) CONUS instrument approach plates in one spot??? Currently, to get the full set for free I had to write a macro for Firefox browser that grabs them all from here:

http://naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

Seems like they should be out there somewhere????

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:32 pm

Well, that was spirited...but every one please remember: different strokes...and one person preferring one or another isn't a slight to anyone who prefers something else.

Important thing is to have the cockpit resources to do the job and know how to use 'em effectively -- cockpit bounce notwithstanding...

If that's paper, so be it; if it's electronic and it does the job, ditto...guarantee one thing: neither gives an edge to a pilot who gets behind the curve and starts tossing things in the back...

The route to being comfy if not happy in IMC is the same one performers take to Carnegie Hall -- practice...and if you can get it safely, practicing in actual is a real plus...ditto for night training and proficiency flying...

realism is never better than when it's reality...and a solid second after dark.

Shooting the missed....
:|

Return to “Listener Mail”