Episode #103

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.

Episode #103

Postby falcon124 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:36 am

If you want to find the facts behind the QF A330 that did the roller coaster ride near West Australia, check out the ATSB's most recent update on the subject http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/2008/release/2008_43.aspx. Wasn't thousands of feet (yay CNet - bunch of idiots that they are) and was not very likely to be caused by computer/mouse interference (although there's been a report that they're checking into a US Navy signals center that was nearby http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24505353-662,00.html :roll: ).

As usual, the facts are amazing enough let alone the wild speculation :D

Re: Episode #103

Postby Tomasz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:54 am

Interesting article about TSA:
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ ... htm?csp=34
Looks like they have more important things they should take care of than pushing for their TS-2008-0021 proposal.

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:20 pm

That's it. I've had it. I'm moving to Australia. --jk

Actually, a pilot friend just got back from New Zealand and loved it enough that he is seriously thinking about retiring there. He tried to get a flight to land on a glacier but the wx wasn't permitting. I didn't even realize that New Zealand had glaciers.

Postby champguy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:17 am

Place is Awesome, people are OK too, kind of English, their red necks raise sheep, not cows. Not at all like Texas though.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:29 am

And if you watched any portion of the recent Lord of the Rings trilogy, then you know that New Zealand's scenery is spectacularly beautiful.

Postby Biggles71 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:48 pm

Yes a beautiful place indeed.

Was down there 2 years ago. After we did a quick license conversion (JAA license) we rented a brandnew PA28-180 (100Hobbs) and flew around the South Island for a bit over a week... Some of the best flying I've done in my +10.000hrs!

Have a look on my photo website if you like to see some more... http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6248824_4dPhF#P-3-20
There is more on page page 2, 4 & 5 as well.

A bit closer to home for most of you guys, some photos of a flying holiday last December in the West US. http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6208468_ ... 8535_PnqKo

Next flying holiday will probably be South Africa... if there are any South Africans here, we're looking for more info!

First of all a GA pilot, secondary a freelance photographer and lastly an Airbus A330-340 training captain!
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

Postby Damia » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:45 pm

Amazing photos :!:

I wanted to go to New Zealand since I watched The Lord of the Rings, now I want it even more.

The avionics were nice too.
Damià - LEMH

There are three things you never turn down: a ride on an airplane and a free meal.
Burt Rutan

Postby tmaenner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Guys,

since I haven't found a comment on the pilot background checks you mentioned in this episode anywhere else yet, I'll post mine here:

Since I am a foreigner, I had to go through a TSA background / security screening procedure before I could even start my first dual.
See http://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov for more details.
Every foreigner who wants to start training has to go through this!
Besides your money they take your personal information and your finger prints (of course for an additional fee at a separate flight school).
Now, if you have already gone through a green card or visa process, you don't have to share any additional information - they have it already...
Does it make me feel or flying overall any safer? IMHO no...

To the FAA /TSA's credit, the whole process is online and response time is, when you move from one step to the next in the flow, less than 12 hours; the fingerprints are scanned in, uploaded to the TSA and checked for usability -> I received my (positive) result in no time.
Your / our tax money at work and it actually worked.

Whether you agree with this at all or not, is a different question. But as a European: we are more used to the fact that the Government knows a lot about you and that's OK as long as they don't abuse it.

So, from my point of view, I wanted to start learning to fly, so I and the flight school had to do this whole process and I have not lost any time of my life clock ;)

P.S. If this is the wrong section, feel free to move it

Postby rlingg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 pm

I read the first 33 pages and scanned other parts of the NPRM (and I'm now ready for bed, yawn). For me, the most troubling bit (of the many troubling bits) is: "As vulnerabilities and risks associated with air carriers and commercial operators have been reduced or mitigated, terrorists may view general aviation aircraft as more vulnerable and thus attractive targets."

So although they don't indicate an existing threat, and we know there's no historical threat, TSA considers the mere possibility of a GA attack ("terrorists may view") is sufficient to embark on a rule-making exercise. We can all engage in imaginative scenarios where a terrorist gets his hands on a vehicle/boat/airplane, loads it with explosives and drives it into his target of choice. I haven't heard of the TSA requiring owners of large private boats or owners/operators/renters (like in Oklahoma City) of trucks or vans from submitting to the same regulations. Why us? How many car bombs are set off every year around the globe? Truck bombs? Okay. How many Cessna Citation-bombs? The TSA's concern does not bear scrutiny.

Second, the language quoted above indicates that after the TSA "secures" large GA aircraft, smaller GA aircraft will then be the target of choice for the terrorists. The logic (if you want to call it that) is obvious and inescapable. Secure the big GA planes, then the terrorists will want the medium GA planes; secure the medium GA planes, then the terrorists will want the small GA planes; secure the small GA planes, they will want the gliders and ultra-lights. It sounds a bit like Germany in 1933. Impose laws and take away liberties, one group at a time until no one is left.

Towards the middle, the NPRM states that "at the annualized total rule cost per flight is estimated at $44." From what I can see of the main features of the proposed rule, there would not be a significantly lower costs, and possibly higher costs, if the rule was imposed on small GA pilots. I personally know everyone I fly with, and would vouch for them before the Pope, the U.S. Supreme Court and the Dali Lama. Otherwise, I would not fly with them. If this goes the way it looks like the DHS wants it to go, I'm going to have to fork over $44 a flight to enrich various TSA-approved vendors FOR NOTHING. Considering their ineptitude, I don't trust the TSA/DHS to keep the country safe. (As an aside, I've heard from a career DOD employee that a lot of federal government hacks with Republican connections who were stuck in jobs they couldn't handle and/or were unlikely of further promotion applied for the DHS after it was created. More than a few were accepted. I'm afraid it's FEMA all over again, folks.)

Re: Episode #103 (LASP NPRM posted for Comments)

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:52 am

Hi folks,

The TSA's Large Aircraft Security Program (LASP) NPRM has now been opened for comment (as of 10/30/08)

Here's the link to the Docket posting on Regulations.gov:

I also updated the Episode #103 shownotes with this link.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Episodes”