Episode #106

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Tomasz

Episode #106

Postby Tomasz » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Here is great GPS for you Jack:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/av80r.php
I played with it a bit at Oshkosh, the biggest advantage of it is it's street navigation part - it uses iGo 08 which in my opinion is one of the best out there. Air part isn't that bad too and you can also use WX there.

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: Episode #106

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:05 pm

There are a bunch of Garmin fanboys on the blue board who are completely trashing this thing. I'm really glad to see Bendix/King finally enter the market and give Garmin a run for the money. I saw on AOPA.org where Garmin is coming out with a $3,000+ hand held GPS. That's ridiculous to me but not to a lot of people.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:20 am

Greatest race pilot ever? Of course, that video was fake. But this one isn't - it's a Radio Control model of course, but it's the real thing.

R/C Plane loses wing and still lands under control...

Modern high-performance aerobatic R/C planes have huge power to weight ratios, and oversized control surfaces. In the hands of a quick-thinking, world-class aerobatic competitor like this, it can be done.

Thanks to "Tomasz" for the shownotes contributions, especially the Best Pilot Ever "debunking" video! 8-)
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

thelaker

Postby thelaker » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:27 am

In this episode, Jeb was saying "here we go again" regarding the failure of Eclipse. He was referring to previous fiascos, but he didn't want to name names or model numbers. Since I'm relatively new on the scene, I have no idea what previous failures he had in mind. Someone want to give me a little history lesson?

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:46 pm

thelaker wrote:In this episode, Jeb was saying "here we go again" regarding the failure of Eclipse. He was referring to previous fiascos, but he didn't want to name names or model numbers. Since I'm relatively new on the scene, I have no idea what previous failures he had in mind. Someone want to give me a little history lesson?

Wellllllll.....the trouble here is partly deciding where to start and partly how to be fair to the innocent...

So try Googling or Yahooing :roll: these names: Visionaire Vantage; Jim Bede and the BD-5; Beech Starship; Javelin (another recent example)...

Jeb was verbally rolling his eyes in part because Eclipse drew a lot of debate because the company promised so much, claimed so much and did so with considerable hubris...even when things went really badly -- an engine-vendor and model change in mid-stream, an avionics-vendor and panel change in late development -- the company unfortunately over promised and under delivered...and still managed to accomplish a great deal, but at costs far beyond expectations with results far below promises...

Since you say you're new to the aviation community, it seems like a good time to share with you a very old joke line about success in aviation:

Know how to make a small fortune in aviation?

Start with a big one

And so it goes...

Dave

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:22 pm

And yet there have been sucess stories also.
I am always suspicious when a start up with so much hype says they need "capital" when what they are really asking for is "cash". Someone elses disposable income to cover their opperating losses.
I knew a man who was sucessful in the boat building industry. He never introduced a new model unless he had an "Angel". Someone who wanted the new boat so bad he would pay for the design, development, and molds for production. Then it was possible to make money on the rest of the production run. He stayed in business for many many years, and his son is still running the company.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:51 pm

I teach this stuff on my side job.

When a company receives a capital injection then that generally does mean cash but it could mean the contribution of any other kind of asset such as tooling, facilities, vehicles, etc... The investor then receives either a note (debt) or a share of the business (equity).

Total assets have to equal debt + equity. The capitalization of a company refers to the debt + equity side of the equation.

..... ok, wake up now. I heard your eyeballs roll to the back of your heads.

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:30 am

Dave Higdon wrote:Since you say you're new to the aviation community, it seems like a good time to share with you a very old joke line about success in aviation:

Know how to make a small fortune in aviation?

Start with a big one

are you able to say the same thing of a company like Dynon Avionics, Dave? And there's many more like them in the uncertified avionics market that might come to mind...

Looks like there is a market everywhere there is just a little less regulation... certification paperwork killed and will kill many more new projects. I am happy to see that Aspen made it with their great retrofit EFIS+DG/HSI unit, and their idea is great. Still, if you compare the prices of Aspen vs Dynon or Grand Rapids and their features...

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Return to “Episodes”