Episode #105

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
PilotBillFromTexas

Episode #105

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 pm

This was a really good UCAP, I thought.

I had pre-voted before I heard this UCAP but you guys reinforced my feelings. I had seen a very good documentary on both candidates on PBS which really turned my vote. I really had a hard time voting against a war hero and someone who I really respect for all of his hard work in Washington and who I believe did fight back against his own party. A friend of mine worked on the McCain campaign in 1990. I can't believe it myself but, I changed because 1. I feel like we need the guy who was the smartest guy at Harvard and not one of the stupidest guys from the Naval Academy. 2. This stupid Joe the Plumber thing might have been nothing but these guys screwed it up. They made it the center of their sound bite campaign without researching this guy and knowing every skeleton that there was to know about him first. There have been some other amateurish screw ups on simple things that I'm not crazy about. We've had enough shooting from the hip for a while. I also don't care for who he would have helping him set financial policy. I also found out about how Obama came up by fighting for the common people in Chicago. I really respect that. He also has the respect of his peers at H law school.

When they report on the news about the two people in Texas who didn't vote a straight republican ticket then that would be me and my wife. This is also the first time that she and I have voted the same way.

The roadable plane I think has appeal because for a couple of reasons. I think that some people like having a plane in their home garage just to have to show off when people come by. I don't think that many people would use it as a daily driver. It would just be driven most likely from the home to the airport then from the airport to a local destination then back. In tough economic times, you can just take the insurance off of the thing, assuming that it's already paid for and leave it in the garage until you're ready to use it again. You don't have to pay hangar fees indefinitely. I know someone who hasn't flown her plane in 5 months. Logically, she should sell it but emotionally she doesn't want to give it up. She still pays hangar fees while she waits.

The point about insurance on the roadable car I think was a good one and is probably the deal breaker. If you have a major accident on the road does the NTSB have to be notified?

There are a lot of remote areas in this country hours away from the nearest big hospital. I've seen the Careflite helicopters many times. They have them on basically permanent standby in Grand Prarie and Granbury, Texas that I know of. I was also recently out in a very remote area of west Texas, E38 where I saw an ambulance roll up to a twin, maybe a Cessna 414, for transportation. The twin used the call sign "lifeguard [someting]." I saw it used twice in the span of two days. If it weren't for that local airport then those people would be screwed in the case of an emergency.

hmltnrgr1

Re: Episode #105

Postby hmltnrgr1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Putting aside the election discussions frankly the discussions during episode #105 left me wondering why the heck I just spend many thousands of dollars and several months obtaining my PPL.

We as a group talk about growing GA but after listening to the discussion it doesn't surprise me a bit that folks thinking about getting a license and joining the flying community would have serious second thoughts.

As for the election, what I heard was that Obama is a clean slate and he's strongly in favor of keeping ATC as a government function...my issue with that is precisely that he's a clean slate with no proven track record & I wonder -- are there any activities he doesn't think are better run by a larger government?

My 2 cents worth.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:21 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see how things pan out with the Terrafugia Transition. Technically, I'm sure they can do it. The insurance issue is a big one, but one of the primary requirements for this vehicle was that it had to be relatively easy to repair. (Don't know if they've met that requirement... :?: )
Also, Carl Dietrich's usage scenarios include others not often mentioned. Sure, there's the "drive to the airport" and "drive out of the distant airport" convenience. But this aircraft is designed to conform to LSA standards, and be flown by VFR pilots. The ability to divert to a nearby airport due to weather ahead on your route and continue the trip on the ground until VFR flying is possible again is a concept that doesn't get enough attention. Hope they meet with some level of success - for my part, I've reserved my "Transition First Flight" package!

While doing the shownotes I came to the Biddeford airport story (Pilots Step Up to save Maine Airport) and discovered the web site of the primary opposition group that is sponsoring the local referendum to close the airport. Apparently there has been a pretty vitriolic back-and-forth between the pilots and the local opponents. It should give you a sense of things that their home-page has the sub-title "Let's stop funding an expensive playground for a select few"

Sigh...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

topilot

Postby topilot » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Hey Guys,
Just finished listening to Episode #105 and would like to suggest that you might revisit the idea of discussing politics, especially so close to election day. It was obvious up until the very last bit of commentary, that all three of you were leaning to the left with a vote for Obama. Jeb finally finished off the topic with an open ended statement that we should not make a decision on a candidate solely on a candidate's opinion that is favorable GA. AOPA's feature article on the candidates was middle ground as you pointed out for a good reason. It is not for AOPA to try to persuade members to vote for one candidate over another.
This particular election has polorized the whole country and if you get in a room full of GA pilots, there will be strong opinions on both sides of who will be best to lead the country for the next four years. I for one, would not feel comfortable voting for a candidate that has absolutely no administrative experience and has admitted to being a cocane user. The only reason I feel Obama is appealing to the GA crowd is that he is reciting concepts that would be favorable to his voting audience. He has no track record at all and always took the middle ground for voting in preparation for his run for president.
The discussion on the upevil in NAFI over the MCFI program was interesting and Amy did a great job of providing an overview of the turmoil. I really hope it turns out favorably as the Hill's have done a great job of instituting the MCFI program.
Keep up the good work on podcasts!
Tom Gilmore, MCFI

champguy

Postby champguy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:58 am

For my vote, thanks for getting into politics. I have heard so much BS in the last months, that you guys seem reasonable. Scary I know.
My vote is with Buba from New Orleans, who, after Katrina, discovered that brains matter.
This country has made so much progress over the years it would be a real shame to give it away to the greedy and incompetent.
It was Pogo who said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us." The change we need is in ourselves. A leader can point the way, but he can only follow us down that path.
God willing, today will be a first small step.

The rest of the epp was also good listening. We pilots are a small but great community. Keeping informed is haw we stay together and stay safe.

Thanks
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 am

champguy wrote:For my vote, thanks for getting into politics.

I agree. Politics are a direct and constant threat to the aviation community. I think that it's too late to be politically correct so why start now.

On the same vein, I'm not a big gun person or motorcyclist or [fill in the blank]. But, when there are political forces trying to restrict their rights to do whatever they enjoy that doesn't hurt anyone else then that might be worth defending because every time someones rights or privileges are unnecessarily restricted then that eats at all of us.

I hope that most non-flying Americans and non-Americans feel the same way.

Damia

Postby Damia » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Please, keep expressing your opinions freely and clearly, that's why we listen to you. That should include politics, especially if they are related to GA. And I don't think your opinions may have changed many votes as, as Jeb pointed, I don't think many pilots would elect a president solely on the interest of GA.
Damià - LEMH

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:38 pm

The politics of the election had the potential to get people pissed off to no good effect. The "hot button" politics of recent years, the culture wars, religious and patriotic "issues", all were "red herring" issues from an elite more concerned about their own pockets than the general well being of the country.
However the "politics" of a disfunctional bureaucracy gone mad, now that is fair game, and by god we got one.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:48 pm

On Terrafugia, I have been following this group for a couple of years now, and have gone to a couple of their informational seminars in the local area here. I have always believed insurance is going to be the determining factor for this product's success or lack thereof. They are quite aware of that and the other issues brought up in the episode, and their response has been that they have been in active discussions with insurers since the beginning. They have also been in active discussions with the DOT all this time, too. We'll see.

Jeb's comment about real estate being the driving (no pun intended) factor for this is absolutely not what the group has been preaching. Although it would be a bonus to be able to keep the car in your garage (if you have one), its greater purpose has been to give you flexibility once you GET to your DESTINATION. The ability to land and motor through bad weather is one of their other stated purposes.

And as LSA is an ASTM/industry "consensus standard," they don't have to meet "FAA standards." Because the DOT is a government bureaucracy I have no doubt that their standards will be harder to meet.

But again, woe to the owner that gets into a fender... uh... control surface... uh, bender; in their car... uh... plane.... uh vehicle while on the road.

To me there was a more intriguing roadable vehicle at Airventure this year, and that was a 3-wheeler that fell under the less restrictive motorcycle category, with telescoping wings. It looked lighter, less complicated and potentially less expensive. It's also just a concept at this point.
http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/Sk ... 515-1.html
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2008/ ... -take.html

Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Mike Smith
Maynard, MA
Sonex N439M
Scratch-built tail dragger

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 am

Well, that certainly is a cooler looking vehicle, in both modes. But for some reason those telescoping wings make me nervous. "No no! Don't push THAT button!"

Return to “Episodes”