Episode #109

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Episode #109

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:59 am

I'm putting the finishing touches on UCAP #109. I'm hoping to have it in the feed by Sunday nite.

In the meantime, here's a clip that hit the cutting room floor. It's about 13 minutes from the very start of our phone call. We're talking about the latest situation at Eclipse.

Note that this was recorded Tuesday nite. We've since heard that the Eclipse employees did get their paychecks. I cut this from the podcast because: it presented so little new info, it was pretty long, and we knew it would be old info by the time the episode was posted.

I post it here for the hard-core listeners, and for those who want to hear us speaking a little more informally.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/threerive ... checks.mp3

-- Jack

champguy

Re: Episode #109

Postby champguy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Nobody ever wants to do the trifecta,"out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas" but we have seen this happen at one time or another. An on
shore gale, low barometric pressure and heavy rains a few winters ago, combined with the highest tide of the year, had every contractor with a truck who would answer his phone over Christmass bringing crushed rock to our levy. Ten grand later, new years passed, the tides down, and we could still drive to town. At least we could throw money at that one.

But I feel for the folks with the bounced pay checks. Been there, got the t-shirt. A few weeks later I was standing in line with a bunch of others at the town hall, Exiter N.H. to sign up for unemployment. I was so upset that as soon as the money started in I hoped on my Triumph 650 and headed west. Every two weeks I sent in the names of three bike shops that didn't need an untrained mechanic, New Hampshire sent the names to Massachusetts, who sent the money to me, and after a time I was hanging with friends in Santa Barbara. Later in Sausalito the recession was extended to give me additional time to get my act together. The mail got delayed and I had to camp in the mountains outside Las Vegas for a time while two checks caught up. Then off to Georgia, up the Blue Ridge Parkway and home to apply what I had learnd about life, trust, and responsibility. You don't recover from any trifecta just overnight.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

advector

Postby advector » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:06 pm

Welcome to the tailwheel cult, Jack! You'll never look back. Note: we prefer the term "conventional gear" to that ugly word, "taildragger!" We are neighbors. Come visit us at 2B9.

n370GL

Postby n370GL » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:50 pm

Jack...Damion is a great instructor, I’m sure the video is very good.

http://www.tailwheel101.com/

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 am

With the following that UCAP has amassed, I was going to suggest the possibility of live-streaming the audio session so those in the audience who were available could listen in real-time. Another great addition would be the ability to live chat while the session was underway so that listeners could post comments about the subjects being discussed.

I have no idea of the technology involved, but live-streaming audio seems to be available at several sites these days, with live-streaming video starting to pop up on more sites. Just a thought.

Tracy

Postby Tracy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:30 am

advector wrote: Note: we prefer the term "conventional gear" to that ugly word, "taildragger!"

I really don't care what you call it as long as it's not a nosedragger. :)

Once you get the landings down, move on the the 1-turn spin + loop + roll sequence..... not in the traffic pattern. Remember... Citabria is airbatic spelled backwards.

Keep your stick back and your feet on the pedals.

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:59 am

advector wrote:Note: we prefer the term "conventional gear" to that ugly word, "taildragger!"

Yeah, I try to always use the term tailwheel, not taildragger. My CFI likes to say "conventional gear".

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:07 am

Tracy wrote:With the following that UCAP has amassed, I was going to suggest the possibility of live-streaming the audio session...

We've been toying with the idea of doing a live episode, with chat, and call-ins. But I think the this would always be the exception since it's pretty clear that the vast majority of our listeners do so long after an ep is posted.

FWIW we already do about four live streaming eps a year: the two each from Sun 'n Fun and Oshkosh. And I'm hoping we'll be doing more of that kind of thing in the 2009 flying season.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:10 pm

jackhodgson wrote:
Tracy wrote:With the following that UCAP has amassed...

How many people listen to the podcast?

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:30 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:
jackhodgson wrote:
Tracy wrote:With the following that UCAP has amassed...

How many people listen to the podcast?

You want the answer counting or discounting our parents, relatives and the folks we rope into sitting through our live-on-location sessions? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Return to “Episodes”