Episode #109

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Episode #109

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:01 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:How many people listen to the podcast?

YOU listen, and that's all that really matters to us.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:16 pm

jackhodgson wrote:YOU listen, and that's all that really matters to us.

Aw, shucks...

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Remembering Jack's comment about spending a day at the airport just for the fun of it, I was struck by a recent article in the Washington Post about the "airport swimming pool" that overlooked Washington's first airport. According to the Post, "The Airport Swimming Pool opened in July 1931. Among its investors were aviator Amelia Earhart and a well-born former Army pilot named Eugene Vidal, who directed the Commerce Department's aviation bureau and helped found several fledgling airlines. (He was also Gore Vidal's father.) The Washington Post reported that the pool had accommodations for 3,000 people and a 20,000-square-foot white sand beach. The huge basin -- "one of the largest reinforced concrete swimming pools in the East" -- was filled with salt water so bathers could enjoy "the equivalent of ocean water only a short distance from their homes."

"The pool was the setting for swim meets, water polo tournaments, beauty pageants ("tall brunette" Toni Mann was chosen as Miss Airport in 1938) and other festive events. When The Washington Post wanted to introduce four new comic strips in 1933, it invited local children to a huge party at the Airport Pool. The price of admission was a copy of The Post's Sunday comics.

"Of course, in a segregated Washington, there were some children who weren't invited, even if The Post was happy to sell them a paper. In its story after the party, The Post noted that "colored boys and girls were accommodated at the Twelfth Street YMCA, through the generous offer of Physical Director Arthur Green." Like Glen Echo's Crystal Pool, the Airport Pool was whites-only.

"Overlooking the pool was another unusual feature: the Hangar Club, a nightspot that occupied space left empty when the Ludington Line airline moved out. "At 2 a.m. all roads lead to the Hangar Club," wrote The Post's nightlife correspondent. "Once within its portals visitors think nothing of dancing till daylight."

"Fittingly, music was provided by Charley Dawson's Musical Pilots. Entertainers included the likes of Billy Ersig, "amazingly clever clarinetist-contortionist," and Archie Hawk, "the dancing copy boy." (The world is a grayer place for the loss of copy boys, dancing and otherwise.)

"Debbie Levy of Potomac remembers hearing about the Hangar Club from her father, Harold, who ran it with his two older brothers, Bill and Bernie. "The stories my father used to tell of those days and nights," she wrote.

"Late-night revelers in search of a respite from contorted clarinetists and dancing copy boys could stroll out to the club's balcony where, cooled by a breeze off the Potomac, they could watch the airmail planes landing."

Obviously, this was in the days before TSA and the ADIZ!
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks for sharing this story about the Airport Pool.

I wonder if that kind of thing could succeed these days. It's a very appealing idea.

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:56 am

I don't think so. Those were the days when "serve and protect" meant leading you safely home, or parking your car and driving you home. We have come a long ways, but even those who believe in reincarnation don't expect to be reborn back in the "good old days".
My dad shot out street lights with a rifle, I used a BB gun, my kid wouldn't think of shooting out anything. This is progress and we just have to learn to live with it, and pass the spirit of aviation on in new ways.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Pilot_MKN

Postby Pilot_MKN » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Hey Jack, that was me that wrote that email you mentioned in the episode. I was writing to tell you guys I had started the commercial aviation program at Delta State University. I wrote again last February when I got my Private. I'm about halfway through my Instrument Rating right now. DSU combines Commercial and Instrument into 3 courses and I just finished the first one which covers basic attitude instrument flying and holding patterns. When I get back from Christmas break I'll start doing approaches. It's a four year program and you walk away with your ratings up to CFII and a degree in Flight Operations.
"Fortune favors the bold"
-Virgil

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:42 pm

jackhodgson wrote:
Tracy wrote:With the following that UCAP has amassed, I was going to suggest the possibility of live-streaming the audio session...

We've been toying with the idea of doing a live episode, with chat, and call-ins. But I think the this would always be the exception since it's pretty clear that the vast majority of our listeners do so long after an ep is posted.

FWIW we already do about four live streaming eps a year: the two each from Sun 'n Fun and Oshkosh. And I'm hoping we'll be doing more of that kind of thing in the 2009 flying season.

The "Gold Seal Live" folks do it about every other week. Seems to work good. I am not quite sure what it takes for them to do it, but from the outside, it doesn't look all that daunting.

dhindmanjr

Postby dhindmanjr » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Jack, I really enjoyed the discussion about the Gobosh G700. I for one, think you should go get checked out in that plane as soon as possible. I am one of those newbies having earned my sport pilot license in May. I did most of my training in N703GB a Gobosh G700. Flying out of Skyraider aviation in Erie, CO. EIK.http://www.skyraideraviation.com/index.html There is a pretty good video of flying the plane at this site. Really love the podcast, keep up the good work.

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:06 am

dhindmanjr,

In UCAP #111 #110 I blather on at some length about my first experience flying the Gobosh 700. I enjoyed it, and will be doing more, but there were a handful of things that I found notable.

I'll be very interested to hear your reaction to my comments. Set me straight.

-- Jack

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 pm

jackhodgson wrote:In UCAP #111 I blather on at some length about my first experience flying the Gobosh 700.

Ummm, maybe UCAP #110? ;)
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Return to “Episodes”