Episode #109

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Episode #109

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Urp! Oh yeah. I'm getting a little ahead of myself. #110.

fordan

Postby fordan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:21 am

RigaRunner wrote:Remembering Jack's comment about spending a day at the airport just for the fun of it, I was struck by a recent article in the Washington Post about the "airport swimming pool" that overlooked Washington's first airport.

What, not every airport has a pool?

Flying W airport (N14) in southern NJ (where I currently fly out of), and its airplane shaped pool.

Pilotbill

Postby Pilotbill » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 am

I learned to fly ultralights at Perris Valley Airport (L65) in Southern California where they've always had an airport pool. Seems that they wanted to build the airport but there was insufficient water supply to satisfy the local fire department. The solution was to build a big pool first to provide a water supply, and then when they reapplied for their permit to build the airport, it was approved. Thus, the pool was there before the airport, but only so that they could build it. Now it's used a lot in the summer by the large skydiving crowd.

Fun airport. Almost no GA. About 75 ultralights and LSAs based there in a very active club, coexisting peacefully with a very large jump school. Here's a link to the airport image.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 3&t=k&z=18

Pilotbill

cr8nkaos

Postby cr8nkaos » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:24 am

Hey Guys,

I went to the Steven McQueen event at the Santa Paula Airport. I got there just in time to see a kitbuilt Turbine Legend doing a couple of high speed low approaches, a Zero and a "Cat" (Hellcat I believe) doing a formation flyover, and several other really cool planes. Several of the hangers were open showing off a variety of different planes of different vintages. I saw everything from PT-19's (I believe), a Stearman, a couple of Varga Kachina's, a few Pitts, and a few old planes with really big, loud and beautiful radial engines. I also got to peak inside the hanger that Steve and Barbara McQueen used to live in. I didn't get her autograph because they were all sold out of her books by the time I got there and she was wandering around checking out the planes at that point. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it was a really good time and the Santa Paula Airport is one of the coolest small airports I ever been to.

Return to “Episodes”